New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Newbie - I need help with a scan script

I am new at scanning and would appreciate some help setting up this script, if it's even possible to do so.

I want to create a scan of all stocks and etf's (or at least all etf's) looking for the following criteria:

1) During specified time frames, an increase in Price => 15%, followed by a =>5% drop

Plus

2) One or more Volume spikes =>100% over the SMA50

Answers

• markdmarkd mod
    edited January 2017
    This is a somewhat ambitious scan. The scan engine is really designed to look for signals (like crossovers) occurring now, or on a specific date in the past, rather than describing action over an extended period of time. That doesn't mean it can't be done at all. But it's hard to get what you want without a lot of refining. But to start:

You could try using the "days ago" offset. So you might try something like

and [20 days ago close > 100 days ago close * 1.15]

and [ close < 20 days ago close * .95]

Then for the volume spikes - you didn't specify the time frame, but may be something like

and [max(120, volume) > 60 days ago sma(50, volume) * 2]

That says, the maximum volume (at least one bar) was twice the average volume at a moment in time (halfway) during the period selected.

I didn't test this. It's just to get you started.