New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

How to successfully scan for all-time highs?

I want to scan for all-time highs and have tried using the scan below, which is taken from the Scan Builder in the Advanced Scan Workbench. However, it consistently produces '0' results, which according to SC tech support, is what should occur, which has surprised me. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting the use of this scan and am waiting for clarification:

[type is stock]
and [sma(20,volume) > 40000]
and [All Time High < high]

I've also tried different combinations of clauses, but without success, and have not been able to find others to try. Does anyone have a potential scan for All-Time Highs. I want to use it for finding potential tops.

Many Thanks

Best Answers

• markdmarkd mod
    edited May 2017 Answer ✓
    @davemon Well, if you think about, the all time high cannot be less than the current high, as you are requesting - All Time High < high. If the current high is higher than the all time high, then the current high must BE the all time high.

So, if you change it around a little it will work - you want to know if the current high IS the all time high. "Is" means the same as "equals" , or "=", so:

[type is stock]
    and [sma(20,volume) > 40000]
    and [high = All Time High ]
  • davemondavemon
    Answer ✓
    Thanks, markd. Your logic makes perfect sense and the result range, 227 (for NYSE, NASDAQ, AMEX & TSE), is roughly similar to traders I know using other charting software, for which the Current or 'New' All Time High scan is built-in. Nice solution and much appreciated.