New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

how to scan for stocks that are a % below their all time high or 52 week high

hi there,

I'm trying to run a scan for stocks that are at a % below their all time high or 52 week high, but I can't seem to get the scan to work properly.

Would anyone know how to do this?

thanks.

Comments

• Hi Anthony - go ahead and post what you have; you're probably pretty close. We'll tweak it.
  • this is what i've got so far

and [today's close <= yesterday's daily max(253,high)*0.75]
    or and [today's close <= all time high*0.75]
  • You don't need the "and" after the "or".

Also, if you have other statements in your scan, such as a stock group, e.g. [group is sp500], you need to isolate the "or" statement from them. If you don't, the scan will return ALL the members of the group.

So, to isolate the "or" condition, put another set of brackets around all the terms of the "or" condition (here there are two).

and
    [

[today's close <= yesterday's daily max(253,high)*0.75]

or [today's close <= all time high*0.75]

]
  • I added some criteria but this shows you stocks that are within 3% of their 52 week high but are less than their 52 week high.

[today's high >= yesterday's daily max(253,high) *.97]
    and [today's close < yesterday's daily max(253,high)]

and [Daily SMA(50,Daily Volume) > 500,000]
    and [Close > 20.0]
    and [type is stock]
    and [country is US]
    and [group is not ETF]
  • nice ...

i was considering different ways to scan for large caps only, but decided on just putting whether the stock was optionable or not so as to get a bit more results...
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited July 2014
    You probably already know this, but for others new to the site:

You can scan for market cap with

and [market cap > x ]

where x is some number that represents millions of dollars, so "100" would be 100 million, 1,000 would be a billion, 10,000 would be 10 billion and so on.

(This is documented in the "Instructions" link at the very bottom of the Advanced Scan page.)

You can also scan for SCTR classification, for example

and [and [SCTR.large > y]

where y is a number between 0 and 99 (which represents SCTR rank, not market cap size)

Market cap is probably (haven't tested it) more inclusive.

You can also add this to the very end of your scan:

rank by market cap

which does what it says. Then click "Preserve order" when you create a new list or replace the contents of an existing list.