New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Technical Analysis

morrishemorrishe
edited July 2014 in Trading Strategies
I am a position trader and would like to review mutual funds, however, there are a HUGE number of mutual funds on the market, how does one find out the better performing funds.

I would like to find out from more experienced traders which indicators would one use to determine mutual funds and why these in particular.

Regards

Morrishe

Comments

• It seems to me that traders would not trade mutual funds because the point of mutual funds is to hold them for at least a certain length of time. My broker says you must hold for at least 30 days. Otherwise, I believe, there is some sort of penalty.

I think traders would trade ETFs and stocks.

I never thought of using TA on Mutual Funds because I thought investors, not traders, would use fundamental and other types of research to decide on a mutual fund.

I suppose you can use TA on Mutual Funds. I would use the same indicators on Mutual Funds that you would use on any other type of security.

In the scan engine use: [type = fund] to scan mutual funds.

A position trader? I like to be clear on terminology. Traders trade securities. Traders would open a position by buying or shorting a security at a certain entry price. Your positions normally mean what you currently have open with your broker using real money. I also reference positions that are closed as closed positions.
  • Market Wizard Gil Blake traded mutual funds.

Comparing mutual funds to the S&P should filter out the best performers.