New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Moving Averages on P&F Charts

Hello. I have been studying P&F charting. Please comment, suggest, or recommend regarding the length of moving averages on a P&F chart appropriate for an intermediate time horizon.
Thanks,
--george

Comments

• Hi George,

In several texts I've seen they talk about all different lengths being of interest to the point and figure study. Usually from 3 to 20. The ones that best define the trend will be "the best". Remember, most texts are written by and for traders. I don't put myself in a position for trading, as I'm not a trader. In lieu of that, I just use a Fibonacci sequence 5,8,13,21,34 The 5 and 8 are more on the short term, 13 and 21 represent intermediate and 34 is long term. I put them on as a sort of Guppy multiple moving average view. Daryl Guppy is a noted technical analyst and author. www.guppytraders.com

I rarely will make a decision based solely on the short term indicators, but like to be aware of their activity.

I also throw the Price by volume on there to get an indication on where important levels are, as indicated by the longest bars.