New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Is there a way to represent a daily sma on an hourly chart?

I primarily use weekly, daily and hourly charts, with the daily being my main decision chart but the hourly chart being where the actual trade is made. I would like to represent the 10 day sma and the 20 day sma on my hourly chart.

Is this possible?
If so, how would I do this?
BobS

Comments

• You can't mix time frames on single chart. There might be a custom gallery mode, but I haven't tried it. Another option is to calculate the number of hours in 10 or 20 days, and use the result as the parameter for an MA. This won't be exactly same, but it might be reasonable approximation. Another option would be to draw a horizontal line on the hourly chart corresponding to the 10 or 20 day MA for the previous day.
  • Thank you so much Mark. A few weeks ago Gord gave me some good advice on using Gallery view to approximate something similar (seeing Rsi's for weekly and monthly on an interday chart). Based on that plus the article by Chip I built custom Gallery styles for daily, weekly, and interday and have bookmarked the "Gallery View" on my browser (Firefox). In fact, I just improved this system today to be even better.

However, for the moving averages, I think your two suggestions above (multiplying 10 x 6.5 hours/day, and horizontal lines for the 10 dma for the previous day) hold more promise. Though the 65 hma is not the same as the 10 dma, it is at least helpful on the hourly chart.

Thanks gain.
    BobS
  • I just noticed that the max SharpChart parameter value on a Moving Average is 600 regardless of period! (I think I tried this long ago and since forgot about it). :)

I would like to add that SCC has converted and adopted the 200 period MA and 50 period MA on daily charts to the 40 period MA and 10 period MA, respectively on Weekly charts. I went for a long time not knowing this. I quickly updated my settings once I figured this out.

This may be slightly off topic, but I wanted to mention it: One thing I learned recently about Moving Averages is that they have a time horizon classification:

Long-term: 100 + periods (200 is popular)
    Medium-term: 20 to 60 periods (50 is popular)
    Short-term: 5 to 20 periods (20 is popular)

This classification should contain price. Otherwise, you may have to adjust values.

My presumption is that this classification construct should apply to at least daily and intraday periods, well really all periods. Using SCC published values for Weekly still fits this classification. I interpret the 10 to be short-term, 40 to be medium-term. Then I drop a long-term: 200 on Weekly.

The only thing to keep in mind is that the long-term MA on intraday charts is not the same as the long-term MA on daily and weekly charts.
  • Thanks Kevo. The practice you mentioned of converting the 200 period MA and 50 period MA on daily charts to the 40 period MA and 10 period MA, respectively on Weekly charts is one I also practice. This conversion 200 / 5 = 40 because of 5 trading days per week is what inspired me to go with 65 hma on the hourly chart for the 10 dma, since there are 6.5 trading hours per day.

I realize these approximations are not identical, but I have already found them helpful since following MarkD's suggestion.

Thanks for your reminders and assurances. I appreciate them.
  • ...I just noticed a somewhat pattern:
    Short-term (10) on Monthly converts to medium-term (40) on Weekly.
    Short-term (10) on Weekly converts to medium-term (50) on Daily.
    Short-term (10) on Daily converts to medium-term (65) on Intraday.

Long-term (200) on Daily converts to medium-term (40) on Weekly.
    Medium-term (50) on Daily converts to short-term (10) on Weekly.

I don't think this means much. :|