New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

How do I interpret under-performance of the AMEX Composite Index?

Hi All,

How do I interpret under-performance of the AMEX Composite Index? I have been trying to figure this out. For example, I know that the NASDAQ Composite has a lot of high beta/small caps and technology. NYSE Composite is the big board with large caps and dividend payers.

I thought that AMEX consists of just small caps, or ETFs, or Mutual Funds/Bonds. Now, I think it has everything?

Comments

• KevoKevo
    edited December 2014
    I guess I was getting confused when trying to determine the answer from the symbol catalog. Google says it is a market capitalization weighted index primarily of small and micro cap growth companies.
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited December 2014
    Hi Kevo,

If you haven't thought of this already, I think you can determine exactly what's in it with a few scans (or just one if you combine them) - exchange is amex and group is industrials, energy, etc., then put the results in candleglance to see what they are like (often not pretty).