New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Scanning for an Overlay of an Indicator

How would I write the code for an overlay of an indicator?

For instance, if I want to have Bollinger Bands around the 13 day Force Index and use a crossover of the lower Bollinger Band as the signal, how would I write the code for the crossover of the lower BB? Essentially, the concept is this:

[yesterday's FORCE(13) <yesterday's Lower BB(20,2) of FORCE 13] and
[today's FORCE(13) x Lower BB(20,2) of FORCE 13]

Help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Answers

• markdmarkd mod
    edited January 2015
    Well, this passes syntax:

[type = stock] AND [Daily SMA(20,Daily Volume) > 40000]
    and [yesterday's FORCE (13) < yesterday's Lower BB(20,2, FORCE(13))]
    and [today's FORCE(13) x Lower BB(20,2, FORCE(13))]

BUT,

on the results page, it first says this is the scan interpretation:

• For the last market close:
    [TYPE = STOCK] AND [DAILY SMA(20,DAILY VOLUME) > 40000] AND [YESTERDAY'S FORCE(13

then, if you sort by any column, the scan interpretation becomes:

For the last market close:
    • All Stocks with...
    • Daily FORCE(13) for yesterday is less than Daily Lwr Bollinger Band(20,2) for yesterday
    • Daily FORCE(13) for today crosses above Daily Lwr Bollinger Band(20,2) for today

So that does not appear to be what you are really looking for, although I didn't make a chart style to check the results.

So I'm guessing you can't do it. I think Gord will have the definitive answer when he next checks in.
  • For reference purposes, here is an example. I believe this is what you are trying to do:

• Kevo, yup, that's exactly what I'm trying to do. Awesome, Markd. That syntax works and it does what I want. Thank you.
  • Well, that's a surprise. Good to know. I'll have to check it out when I get the chance.
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited January 2015
    Yes, it does work.

There is a minor error in the scan text above (missing bracket before "yesterday"). Here it is corrected for anyone interested:

and [yesterday's FORCE (13) < yesterday's Lower BB(20,2, FORCE(13))]
    and [today's FORCE(13) x Lower BB(20,2, FORCE(13))]

Pretty interesting scan, Chad. Thanks for sharing the idea.
  • lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Might also be wise to look at ones crossing Upper BB.

and [yesterday's FORCE (13) < yesterday's Upper BB(20,2, FORCE(13))]
    and [today's FORCE(13) x Upper BB(20,2, FORCE(13))]