New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.
Options

Volume Indicators

I left Stock Charts 2 years ago and have now returned and trying to recall the wealth of information available. There appear to be several volume indicators, ....(OBV, Chalkin, A/D etc.) If you had to pick one, which would you go with ?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    markdmarkd mod
    edited May 2015
    I think they are all useful, although they sometimes give different results because they have different formulas. So, you have to study them over time to get used to their quirks. It's also worth reading the explanations for how each is calculated to determine on your own which most closely reflects market action.

But to answer your question, I use Force(251) with at 63 period MA on the daily chart. The intent is to pick up long term accumulation and distribution. But it's informative with other parameters, too. I like parameters based on the calendar - 251 is a year (minus weekends and holidays), 63 is a quarter and 21 is a month. 21 is also the default. The intent is not to pick entries or exits (although maybe you could with shorter parameters), but to get a feel for whether the stock is attracting or losing interest in a way that may not be apparent in the price action.