New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Mutual fund distributions

It's that time of year when Mutual Funds make cap gain distributions, and show 5-10% daily losses when in reality there should have been a smaller loss or even a gain. Makes it hard to analyze the chart. Still showing the big drop on the chart a few days later, even with _Symbol for adjusted. When/how are the charts updated to take out these anomalies? For example, look at PRHSX and the big drop 5-6 days ago.

Answers

• Hi MarkL, I don't trade Mutual funds so this question is probably better if submitted to support at StockCharts.

But I can offer a couple of suggestions.

- The default chart is for adjusted data, if there are adjustments. The _symbol will give you un-adjusted charts where there have been adjustments.

- Mutual funds are a little different in how they are structured and how they report. A quick look at the T. Rowe Price website shows that PRHSX did not report a dividend, but did report a gain, which I assume was re-invested thus giving you more units. (PRHSX is a closed fund for new investors).

- If I look at TRVLX it did report both a div and gain, the chart does show the div and was adjusted for that portion, I assume the gain portion was re-invested and resulted in more units for those owners. (TRVLX is a fund open to new investors).

good luck and happy holidays