New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

High volume scan

I wonder if the scan that searches for high trading volumes:

[type=stock]
and [volume > yesterday's sma(20,volume)*4]
and [close > yesterday's close]

can be modified so that stocks with high BUY volumes are identified and listed separately from those of high SELL volumes. In currently format the scan generates a list which includes both stock volume groups together.

Thank you.

Chris

Best Answer

• markdmarkd mod
    Answer ✓
    I'm assuming you want to separate out symbols with high uptick volume or high down tick volume for all symbols that closed up on high volume.

I'm not aware of an indicator that's available in the "Technical Indicators" drop down that you could include in a scan. But, I don't keep up with every new addition, so you might explore the options there and check Chart School to see what they do.

Another approach might approximate the results you want - namely, to modify the scan to look for closes above and below the mid point of the days range (or some other threshold level). This approach depends on the assumption that if the uptick volume is greater, the close should be in the upper half (or third or quarter, etc.) of the bar, and vice versa.

So, this would get everything closing above the midpoint:

[type=stock]
    and [volume > yesterday's sma(20,volume)*4]
    and [close > yesterday's close]
    and [close > low + [ [high+low] * .5]]

You could change the .5 to .67, .75, etc.

For closes below the midpoint

and [close < low + [ [high+low] * .5]]

or .33, .25, etc.

Answers

• Thank you very much Mark.
    Chris

• i tried this code and got not results, what am i doing wrong: [GROUP IS ETF] AND
    [GROUP IS NOT TSE300] AND [EXCHANGE IS NOT TSE] AND
    [GROUP IS NOT NSE] AND [GROUP IS NOT LSE] AND

[CLOSE >= LOW + [ [HIGH+LOW] *.5]]
  • [CLOSE >= LOW + [ATR(1) *.5]] gets results. I think that is close to the same thing
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited September 2021
    Any of these will also work, although the first one gets different results for some reason:

AND [CLOSE >= LOW + [HIGH-LOW] *.5] // the range is high *minus* low, not high plus low

AND [CLOSE >= HIGH+LOW *.5]

AND [CLOSE >= LOW + [ range *.5]]