New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.
Options

S&P 500

How do I go about finding approximately 100 stocks selling under forty dollars (among the S&P 500?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    You would write a scan on the Advanced Scan Workbench.

Here is a link to the documentation:

stockcharts.com/docs/doku.php?id=scans:advanced_scan_workbench

At the bottom of the link page above are more links to videos that lead you through the scan writing process. It's a bit of work to learn the basics, but well worth it if you plan to find trades on your own.

To get you started on this request, copy this scan engine language into the scan window on the advanced scan page (after you delete the default language that is already there):

// begin scan for SP500 stocks under 40

// stocks to look at
    [group is sp500]

// stocks to select for results
    and [close < 40]

// end scan

Click the "Check Syntax" button, then click "Run".

There may or may not be 100 stocks that fit those conditions.

• Options
    too complicated. but thanks anyway. I will have the tech people from Trade Navigator help me via phone.
  • Options
    Ivanhoe66, this is a very simple scan you are looking for. In my case, I usually use the Standard Scan Workbench. You can find the link to open that on your Members page.

You just enter as shown below. This scan finds about 128 stocks this morning. You will notice I chose to have Average price over $10. If you wanted less or more stocks to show, you could increase or decrease that Average price. Right now this scan is finding stocks between $10. and $40. on the S&P 500.

When you have entered things as shown, you need to push the Update Criteria button, before you run the scan.

• Options
    markdmarkd mod
    edited May 2016
    Good luck w/ that. Seems they are installing new phones and can't take calls (really?).

If you just want a list and not SC's almost infinitely customizable charting and indicator scanning capabilities for following those stocks, try the finviz screener. Three clicks gives you a list of 136 in SP500 under 40 as of today. They do have mouse-over pop-up charts, which is nice.