New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Scanning for Bullish Outside Bar

Hi,

I want to scan for a bulllish outside bar which is this criteria below. But the scan doesn't seem to work in stockcharts advance bench.

[today's daily High > yesterday's daily High]
and [today's daily Low > yesterday's daily Low]
and [yesterday's daily Close > today's daily Open]
and [country is US]
and [daily volume > 3,000,000]
and [close > .50]
and [Downtrend is true]

Comments

• I'm not sure what you mean by doesn't work. It passes syntax, and it returns what you ask for, which is:

[today's daily High > yesterday's daily High] // a higher high today - OK

and [today's daily Low > yesterday's daily Low] // a HIGHER low today - ?

and [yesterday's daily Close > today's daily Open] // today's open BELOW yday close -?

So the first two lines ask for an UP bar, not an outside bar. For an outside bar, you need to change the second line from ">" to "<".

I'm not sure what the definition is for a bullish outside bar. I would think you would have to include something for the close - either today's close is above yesterday's close, or above the midpoint of today's bar, or both.

So, if that's what you want something like this might work better:

[today's daily High > yesterday's daily High]
    and [today's daily Low < yesterday's daily Low]
    and [today's close > 1 day ago close]
    and [today's close > [high+low]* .5] // today's close above the middle of the today's range

• Thanks. That seems to have solved the problem. Thank you for your help mark.