New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.
Options

Scanning for specific stocks in my "Favourite Lists" that cross 200 DMA

Hi Fellow chartists

I am trying to use the scan program to scan my stocklists for stocks that either:

1. has a weekly MACD cross this week
2. Engulfing Candle (Daily)
3. Crossed the 50 DMA OR 50 EMA
4. Crossed the 200 DMA OR 200 EMA

I ran the below scan and it came up with 800 results (altho I don't have 800 stocks in total in the combined favorites!

Please help

Thank you

[favorites list is 11] // 0 AA - Top Stocks Google - Netflix - Amazon
and [favorites list is 25] // 00.2 - AB - Jeff Client Discretionary Trades - Oct 15
and [favorites list is 36] // 0021 - Trade Today for DCR SIPP / Bradley Acc
and [favorites list is 3] // 003 - Weekly Jeff Discretionary - 2016 Stocks to Monitor / on Standby to buy
and [favorites list is 34] // 003.1 Weekly review - Country ETF's Jan 16
and [favorites list is 35] // 003.5 - Weekly Currencies
and [favorites list is 38] // 003.6 - Weekly Review - Cristina / DCR / Brandley stocks
and [favorites list is 27] // 004 - Monthly Jeff Discretionary - 2016 stocks to monitor [favorites list is 4] // 004 Monthly Review list
and [favorites list is 13] // 016 Numis - Listed Stocks Watch list - Created Aug 15
and [favorites list is 15] // Energy Stocks - Dec 14
and [favorites list is 2] // Greenlight Capital+Pershing Square Holdings
and [favorites list is 33] // MLP's
and [favorites list is 16] // REITS - Aug15

AND
[Weekly MACD Line(12,26,9,Weekly Close) crosses Weekly MACD Signal(12,26,9,Weekly Close)]

Or
[Bullish Engulfing is true]

or

[[today's close x today's ema(50,close)] OR [today's close x today's ema(200,close)]]

OR

[[today's close x today's dma(50,close)] OR [today's close x today's dma(200,close)]]

Comments

• Options
    markdmarkd mod
    edited November 2016
    // begin scan

[ // begin lists "or"
    [favorites list is 11] // 0 AA - Top Stocks Google - Netflix - Amazon
    or [favorites list is 25] // 00.2 - AB - Jeff Client Discretionary Trades - Oct 15
    or [favorites list is 36] // 0021 - Trade Today for DCR SIPP / Bradley Acc
    or [favorites list is 3] // 003 - Weekly Jeff Discretionary - 2016 Stocks to Monitor / on Standby to buy
    or [favorites list is 34] // 003.1 Weekly review - Country ETF's Jan 16
    or [favorites list is 35] // 003.5 - Weekly Currencies
    or [favorites list is 38] // 003.6 - Weekly Review - Cristina / DCR / Brandley stocks
    or [favorites list is 27] // 004 - Monthly Jeff Discretionary - 2016 stocks to monitor [favorites list is 4] // 004 Monthly Review list
    or [favorites list is 13] // 016 Numis - Listed Stocks Watch list - Created Aug 15
    or [favorites list is 15] // Energy Stocks - Dec 14
    or [favorites list is 2] // Greenlight Capital+Pershing Square Holdings
    or [favorites list is 33] // MLP's
    or [favorites list is 16] // REITS - Aug15
    ] // end lists "or"

AND

[ // begin conditions "or"

[Weekly MACD Line(12,26,9,Weekly Close) crosses Weekly MACD Signal(12,26,9,Weekly Close)]

Or

[Bullish Engulfing is true]

or

[today's close x today's ema(50,close)]

OR

[today's close x today's ema(200,close)]

OR

//[today's close x today's dma(50,close)] // note: "dma" generates an error
    [today's close x today's sma(50,close)]
    OR

//[today's close x today's dma(50,close)] // note: "dma" generates an error
    [today's close x today's sma(200,close)]

] // end conditions "or"

// end scan

If you connect your favorites list with "and", the scan will only pick up symbols that occur in each and EVERY list. With "or", it will look at all symbols in all lists.

You got 800 results because the brackets around your "or" condition statements were not placed correctly. When you use "or", a good way to do it is to put in a skeleton of the brackets first " [ or ] " , then fill in the blank space on either side of the or with your condition statements:

[
    [ fill in condition 1 here ]
    or
    [condition 2]
    or
    ... etc.
    or
    [ last condition]

]

I changed "dma" to "sma" - simple moving average - since you already had a test for "ema".

I note your list names include different time frames. When you save your results to a list (or multiple lists), they will be displayed in your default style time frame.

Obviously, I could not test this because I don't have your chart lists. You should verify results to make sure you are getting what you think you are asking for. Every chart should meet at least one "or" condition - but not that one chart could match MORE than one condition (if that matters to you).