New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Chart of 2013 Year, on top of 2014 year StockChart

I want to over lay a prior year STOCK chart (Line Chart only) on top of a another individual year line chart ( i.e., AAPL 2013 year on top of 2014 year).
Don't want PerfChart. Is this possible?

Best Answers

• markdmarkd mod
    edited August 2015 Answer ✓
    Maybe others have a better idea, because this one is pretty involved -

Assuming you have the necessary subscription level, you would create a custom index from the data of one of the charts and upload it and overlay it (select "Behind Chart" from the indicator placement options) on the other chart. I think you would probably have to co-ordinate the dates, so in the index file you would have to alter the dates to match the base chart. So if the date of the first trading day is 1/3/13 (guessing), you would make that the first date of you custom index, etc.
  • gordgord admin
    Answer ✓
    The easiest way I can think of is with the creative use of some of the features available at StockCharts.

- A one day SMA(1) is simply the close, same as a line chart of the close.

- At StockCharts you can time shift an SMA, forward or backwards, lets shift it one year, I'll use 252 trading days as an approximation. (maybe for the particular year its 251, 252 or 253, check it if its that important).

- Create a 2 year line chart of AAPL, add SMA(1) time shifted 252 days into the future.

Here's a link to the chart settings.

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=AAPL&p=D&st=2013-01-01&en=2015-01-01&id=p91362909360

Answers