New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

I am trying to setup a scan that will find stocks that are up 80% plus from a 52 week low.

I am trying to setup a scan that will find stocks that are up 80% plus from a 52 week low.

Here is the scan: It does not work? Any suggestions or ideas too improve this scan would be greatly appreciated.

[today's high >= yesterday's daily max(253,low) *1.80]
and [today's close < yesterday's daily max(253,low)*1.80]

and [Daily SMA(50,Daily Volume) > 100,000]
and [Close > 5.0]
and [type is stock]
and [country is US]
and [group is not ETF]
and [Close < 80.0]

Best Answers

• carlsoncarlson
    Answer ✓
    I think this should do it.

[type is stock]
    and [country is US]
    and [group is not ETF]
    and [Close > 5.0]
    and [Close < 80.0]
    and [Daily SMA(50,Daily Volume) > 100,000]
    and [Close > Min (253, Close) * 1.8]
  • gordgord admin
    Answer ✓
    Just to explain a little further, why didn't your first attempt work?

As Carlson has shown, the proper way to order your criteria is to place all the primary data filters first and then the heavier calculations after the list of 50,000 stocks has been drastically reduced.

The two problem clauses are with the max over a range. The clauses have the correct coding, so no syntax error is generated, its just a logic problem. We've all done it, used max when it should have been min etc. What you actually asked for, may not always be what you thought you asked for.

- [today's high >= yesterday's daily max(253,low) *1.80]

This clause is looking for today's high to be greater than the max (highest) low over the the last 253 days, by 80%. Problem is in an up market the highest low probably happened in the last few days and then we need the current high to be 80% higher, this is almost never going to happen. I believe you are looking for today's high to be greater than the min (lowest) low over the the last 253 days, by 80%.

- [today's high >= yesterday's daily min(253,low) *1.80]

Now this clause could also be changed from; high above past low, to high above past high, or close above past close, etc.

-----------------
    Now the second clause,

- and [today's close < yesterday's daily max(253,low)*1.80]

This clause requires todays close to be below the highest past low times 1.8, its really not necessary. But if its left in, it would limit any hits to just around the 80% value. As the daily range is usually not that great, any stocks with say a 100% gain meeting the first clause would probably fail this clause as having the high above 100% and the close below 80% is probably not going to happen.

hope this gives you some other ideas

Answers