New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Do Bounded (Overbought/Oversold) Oscillators show divergence?

Do Bounded (Overbought/Oversold) Oscillators show divergence from price? Examples of Bounded (OB/OS) Oscillators are CCI, Stochastics, Williams %R, and RSI.

I know that Unbounded Oscillators (Momentum Indicators) like MACD and TRIX can show divergence. I am not familiar with OB/OS oscillators showing divergence, in particular, CCI and Stochastics. Please comment if you have seen this.

I am guessing RSI might show divergence, but I never noticed this or paid attention to it because it is not a momentum indicator. RSI is meant to show extremes (OB/OS).

Best Answer

Answers

• Thanks dreamtalk. I guess I just got into the habit where I was aware of divergences in only the unbounded momentum indicators like MACD and TRIX. I never looked for divergences in the OB/OS indicators since I used them only for OB/OS. CCI, RSI, and Stochastics like you pointed out show divergences.
  • Finally, here is what I was trying to ask and point out: Does anyone use bounded oscillators for divergence? I generally do not since I use them for OB/OS. Maybe divergence is more pertinent to the unbounded oscillators since I see the two in discussions more often. I do not believe, but not sure, that ChartSchool distinguishes the difference of divergence between bounded and unbounded oscillators and which is more useful.