New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

numbers

I have another question for anyone, I want to number my watch list but when I do the numbers are never in order, Is there away to keep them numbered and in order?
TIA

Comments

• markdmarkd mod
    edited March 2017
    There's a little secret to numbering.

Your lists, and the stocks in your lists, are presented in alphabetical order. In computer-ese, alphabetical order means, special characters first, like ! @ # etc., then numbers, 0 1 2 3 etc. then letters A B C D, etc.

Numbers, or digits, are not read as numbers, though, they are read as characters. So a list of numbers in numerical order looks like this -

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16, etc.

but when listed alphabetically, they look like this

1 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

because "1" comes before "2", so it lists everything that starts with "1" before it lists something that start with "2". It doesn't care about the value of the number. It cares about what digit comes first in the sequence of characters that are digits.

So to take advantage of this when naming your watch lists, you first have to think about the highest number you are going to use. If that number has two digits, then ALL your lists must begin with two digits, so,

00 Raw scan results
    01 Energy stocks
    02 Materials stocks
    03 etc.

If you will have a hundred or more lists, you could use three digits, and so on.

If you want to, you can get more creative with your list naming by using groups of numbers. For instance,

00 00 Raw scan results
    00 10 MACD scan results
    00 20 RSI scan results
    01 00 All Energy stocks
    01 01 Integrated Oil
    01 02 Exploration and Production
    etc.
    02 00 All Material stocks
    00 01 Chemical Stocks
    00 02 Mining stocks
    etc.
    etc.

This allows you to group lists together. It also means you can add lists where you want them without having to re-name other lists.

The number groups can be any size, maybe 00 00 00, or 000 000 or 00 0, or whatever you want.

Or, if you don't want to use spaces, just use some number of digits that will allow you to group your lists they way you want - say, four:

1000 Raw scan results
    2000 Energy
    2100 Energy small caps
    2200 Energy mid caps
    2300 Energy big caps
    3000 Materials
    etc.

• thx you I appreciate your time