New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

How to get email alerts prior to earnings?

I recently missed an entry I had made in my Google calender to sell an instrument (Lundin Mining) before earnings. I got stung for that oversight, and would like to get a better system to get emailed alerts for upcoming earnings for stocks in my portfolio.

Seem to have difficulty finding a way to accomplish this, any recommendations would be appreciated.

Best Answer

• markdmarkd mod
    edited April 2017 Answer ✓
    @TSellers I haven't heard of a service that does this, but maybe one of the earnings calendar sites, like Bloomberg or Morningstar or Zacks, does it if you have a subscription. You would have to research that on your own, unless someone here knows.

Alternatively, if you track your stocks on Stockcharts, when you buy a stock, you can go to the stock's website, get the earnings date, then use the annotation tool to write a note on your daily chart. You could even add extra bars to your chart style and add some kind of annotation symbol, say an arrow or a vertical bar, on the bar for the earnings date when it comes into view.

Answers

• Thanks Mark for the suggestions. I plan to try your second one and see how it works, as I was thinking about doing something similar with my charts in MotiveWave that I also refer to every day. I may also continue to add the date to Google Calendar.
  • Check in FINVIZ, The Street.com. The date is some times advanced. Therefore, keeping checking for it frequently. Some companies issue advance news about their date. Keep reading the news for holdings every day
  • FinViz is a pretty good website, for various diff things. ScottradeElite has a option where you set earnings on the chart itself, you will see a small red E and it will give the date/time of the release.
  • New to this site and looking forward to learning some techniques. Two things I want to avoid: (1) buying a stock over night at market value and find out the next day that after my purchase it’s value went down, and (2) selling a stock over night and find out the next day that it’s value went up. @#$&*%/).

Sometimes instead of a market order I try making it a stop or limit order trying to NOT have the transaction go thru unless the share price starts going down (in the event of a sale) a bit from the last close or unless the share price starts going up (in the event of a purchase) a bit from the last close. Sometimes it works fine and the transaction does not happen for which I am grateful, but sometimes it does not work. I need to learn when to use a stop order and when to use a limit order (not sure which is which) and other than just wild guessing how to select the price on which the transaction happens —- just round up or down?

Any guidance would be appreciated. For another time, perhaps, I need learn about stop limit transactions.

Thanks much,

Walter