New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Short strategy

Hello,

I had a good success with my Swing long strategy and was tinkering with short setup. The requirements are as below:
Short
Close < 24 day Ema.
Close crosses down MA(high, 10) from up.
RSI 4 < 50.
Macd 3,12 histogram current period less than previous period .
Adx 5 > 35

What I am struggling with is the MACD Histogram settings. What I have written so far is below

// set stock universe
[Country is US]

and

[type = stock] AND [group is not ETF] and [name not contains "Trust"] and [name not contains "Notes Due"] and [name not contains "Shares"] and [name not contains "Fund"]

and

[ TODAY CLOSE < EMA (24, CLOSE)] AND
[ TODAY CLOSE x SMA(10, HIGH)] AND

[RSI(4) < 50] AND

[MACD Hist(12,3) < 1 day ago MACD Hist(12,3)] AND

[ADX Line(5) > 35.0]

AND [SCTR > 70]

RANK BY SCTR

Is this correct? specifically for the MACD HISTOGRAM piece?

Comments

• Also the crossover of TODAY CLOSE x SMA(10, HIGH is slightly confusing since I want to scan for stocks whose price is falling from SMA (10, HIGH) and not the other way around where it is catching rising price crossover. I hope I am able to explain.
  • ok, I reversed this part and now indicates the falling price instead or rising, but still not getting any results with all the conditions in place.

[ SMA(10, HIGH) x TODAY CLOSE ] AND
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited September 2017
    Although the scan passes syntax, MACD Hist usually takes 3 parameters. The default is 12,26,9. So for instance

and [MACD Hist(12,26,9) < 1 day ago MACD Hist(12,26,9)]

Apparently, you are using different parameters, which is OK. But if you use only 2, the scan engine probably assumes 12 is the first EMA, 3 is the second EMA, and the third parameter is 0 for the Signal line (the ema of the difference of the first two emas), so there wouldn't be a Signal line. If there is no Signal line, there is no difference between Line and Signal, so no Hist, so Hist would never be less than 1 day ago Hist.
  • okay @markd . thank you so much. I will correct that one. Many thanks