New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.
Options

Quarterly scanning

I wrote a scanner that basically looks for a quarterly candle as inside candle, meaning last 1-3 months has traded within 3-6 months. The below scan should work but it still returns me stocks that are making new highs.

[type = stock] AND [Daily SMA(20,Daily Volume) > 40000] and [Open > 10.5 ] and [optionable is true]
and [
[monthly max(6, monthly high) > 1 month ago high] and [monthly max(6, monthly high) > 2 month ago high] and [monthly max(6, monthly high) > 3 month ago high] and
[monthly min(6, monthly low) < 1 month ago low] and [monthly min(6, monthly low) < 2 month ago low] and [monthly min(6, monthly low) < 3 month ago low]

]

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Try this:

// the 3 month max monthly high for the 3 months prior to the most recent 3 months is greater than the most recent 3 months max monthly high

and [3 months ago monthly max(3, monthly high) > monthly max(3, monthly high)]

// vice versa for the lows
    and [3 months ago monthly min(3, monthly low) < monthly min(3, monthly low)]

In your scan, the phrase max(6, monthly high) allows the max high to be in the most recent months 4, 5 or 6 (counting forward from 6 months back). Also, your results might have been influenced by the syntax of phrases like "1 month ago high"; I think that should be "1 month ago monthly high"

Also, if you run the scan as of a mid month date, like Oct 4, the current month appears to be counted as a whole month, even though it is not completed yet. You will get different (possibly more useful) results if you back date the scan to the last trading day of a month (e.g. Sep 29).

• Options
    @markd It worked.. awesome. thanks for you help. I would have never thought of this.

Thanks so much.