New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Stock, Industry, Sector and Index on One Chart?

Is there a way of adding to a Stock's chart, a graph of it's Industry, Sector and index on the same chart, so that you can be reminded of the individual stock's momentum and trajectory within a wider context?

Comments

• markdmarkd mod
    edited October 2017
    If you want to add a chart to your main chart, use the "Price" option under "Indicators" on the Chart Workbench, then enter the symbol you want to graph. Under Advanced Options, choose a chart style from the Style window.

Another approach is to graph the "price relative", which is essentially relative strength. Select the "Price - Performance" option (also under Indicators) and enter the symbol and the main chart first, then a colon (:), then the symbol for comparison. For instance, IBM:XLK compares IBM to the tech sector SPDR. When the line is generally rising, IBM is out-performing XLK. You can add an MA from the overlay window under advanced options - I use a 63 day (quarterly) MA.

If your subscription allows, you can find the $DJUS industry indexes under the "Industry Summary" in your "control center" (or maybe under "Free Charts") and the sector SPDRs under "Sector Summary".
  • As an alternative, I use the $symbol, $industry, $sector to let Stockcharts plug in the appropriate things that I'm looking for. Only one it doesn't do it the Market. For that I put the comparative market of interest into the parameter.
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited October 2017
    @lmkwin Yes, for RS (price peformance) that's the best way. $SYMBOL:$INDUSTRY, and $SYMBOL:$SECTOR and $SYMBOL:$SPX, or $INDU or whatever. Thanks for adding that.
  • Thanks a lot for the hints. This is very helpful. What does the percentages means?
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited January 2018
    Here's the documentation for Price Relative showing how the calculation is done.

https://stockcharts.com/school/doku.php?id=chart_school:technical_indicators:price_relative

I can't find documentation for Price - Performance, but it seems to be a little different.

Price Relative (which is the Price indicator with a ratio parameter, e.g IBM:$SPX) and Price - Performance (which is a separate indicator from Price, but uses the same ratio parameter, like IBM:$SPX) produce identical indicator lines (you could overlay one on the other and you would see only one line), but they have different scales.

The Price Relative scale is usually a decimal value carried out to 3 or 4 places.

The Price Performance scale expresses the indicator value as a positive or negative per cent and it has a zero line.

The Price performance Indicator seems to express the over/under performance of the first symbol versus the second symbol SINCE THE FIRST BAR on the chart. If you change the length of the chart chart - say from 6 months to 3 months, the last (most current) indicator value changes.
  • Thanks a lot for the answer..