New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Scanning of stocks that (today) drop more than 15% of 52 week high

Dear all,

I want to scan the stocks that (today) drop more than 15% of 52 week high and I think the syntax should be:

[today's low < yesterday's daily max(400,daily close)*.85]

However, the scan result is not the stocks that drop more than 15%.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you.

Comments

• A couple of things to try.

The "400" in max(400, daily close) is much longer that 52 weeks. There are 5 trading days in a normal week, times 52 weeks = 260 days. There are 9 holidays in the US markets (NYSE), so that's 251 days in a normal year.

Also, if you specify < 85% , the results could include stocks that are ANY amount less than 85 %, whether 60% less, 45%, 10%, etc.

If you want to get stocks somewhere near 85%, you might add another line to require a lower end of the range, like:

// get stocks trading above 70 per cent of the 52 week high
    [today's low > yesterday's daily max(251,daily close)*.70]

• Many thanks Markd for the prompt reply.

Sorry for the confusion. Actually, I want to scan for all time high (instead of 52 weeks). Therefore, I arbitrary put 400 because I don't know the max for this parameter.

In fact, I only scanned less than 40 stocks because I added a filter and the full codes are:

[favorites list is 29] // For scanner
    and [today's low < yesterday's daily max(400,daily close)*.85]

Therefore, the number of stocks that drop more than 15% will not be overwhelming. However, the scan result is not what I want. For example, the scan result contain stocks e.g. ABMD (ABIOMED, Inc.), TWTR (Twitter) which is at its all time high.

I think there is something wrong with my code (even only with two statements) but I still cannot figure it out.

Hope any user can help.

Thank you in advance.

• TWTR's all time high was in December 2013 around 75. ABMD is a mystery.

You can code for All Time High. It's available as an option in the "Price, Volume and SCTRs" drop down.

and [low < All Time High * .85]

A lot of stocks made their all time highs in 2008, 2011 or 2014-15, so you may get more results than you expect.

• Thanks Markd. I see, TWTR's all time high was in Dec 2013. I missed the point. Thank you.