New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

US Cash index

What does one use for a $UScash index? I used to use Barclays US Cash index, but that seems to have been discontinued. I've seen that with ticker BRCPCASH and with INDEXCME:CASHUS, but this series seems to have been discontinued at end of 2017. As an investment advisor I'm looking for a cash index that I can use for performance comparisons.

Comments

• $USD looks like it is the continuous contract, probably the one you want. ^DXZ18 appears to be the most active current contract. Both are end of day. Both are from ICE.
  • Thanks, but isn't $US an index of the the US Dollar in relation to other currencies? It seems to fluctuate that way. I'm looking for something that shows the return to holding cash in a brokerage account.
  • Yes, it is versus other currencies.

Would it be similar to a short term US Treasury issue yield?

To see those, enter "$UST" (without parens) in the symbol search window.
  • How was the "Barclays Cash Index"? defined. And why was it discontinued as of 12/28/17?
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited July 2018
    Apparently Barclays discontinued that index. If you go to other sites, you will see the data stops on that date.

I was unable to determine what a cash index is for the purpose you have stated. I would think it would be the interest paid on cash balances in the customer account, which I assume would be something like a money market fund. Those seem to pay something that approximates short term US Treasury issues.

P.S. I do not work for Stockcharts, I am a subscriber to the service. This is a user-run "self help" site.