New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Predefined Tech scan "bullish 50/200-day MA crossover"

Predefined Technical scan "bullish 50/200-day MA crossover" returned 38 charts on 7-9-18 at 8:10PM PDT. Of these 38 charts: 3 x on 7-9; 12 x in 1 to 4 day prior; 12 x 5-10 days prior; 3 x 11-20 days prior; 2 x 21 days prior; 6 never x positive on 6 month chart.

Same type of results when create crossover scans on Advanced workbench. I can understand a data delay of a couple days, but to have 29% crossed 2 weeks to never is pretty loose results.
Any possible explanation for this?
R-Day

Comments

• I don't get the same results as you do. I get 38 hits (4:45 am EDT 7/10), but they all cross as expected.

You can see this if you put your results in a scratch list and apply the SCC Default chart style. The cross occurs on the very last bar.

However, I don't see how this code could have produced those results:

[type = stock]
    AND [Daily SMA(20,Daily Volume) > 40000]
    AND [Daily SMA(50,Daily Close) > Daily SMA(200,Daily Close)]
    AND [Yesterday's Daily SMA(50,Daily Close) <= Yesterday's Daily SMA(200,Daily Close)]

This code is what you get if you click on "click here to edit this scan" on the pre-defined results page. I think there is a line missing for today's closes that would read

AND [Daily SMA(50,Daily Close) > Daily SMA(200,Daily Close)]

A better last line should be

AND [SMA(50,Daily Close) x SMA(200,Daily Close)]

But this scan may have been written before the "x" operator (crossover) was introduced.

Also, please check whether your chart style is using EMAs instead of SMAs. EMAs will give a different result because the scan uses SMAs.
  • Markd thanks!! my default shart style has EMA's instead of SMA. Made all the difference. My bad
    r_Day.