New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Mark Minervini scan

Hey Everyone! Been awhile since I posted here. Read Mark Minervini's newest book and thought I'd post a scan I made based off his filtering criteria (minus the IDB ranking, which you could replace with a SCTR scan):

//Minervini Rules 1, 2, 4, 5
and [today close > [SMA(50, close)]] and [ [SMA(50, close)] > [SMA(150, close) ] ] and [ [SMA(150, close)] > [SMA(200, close) ] ]

//Minervini Rule 6
and [today close > yesterday's daily min(253,low) * 1.3]

//Minervini Rule 7
and [today's close > yesterday's daily max(253,high) * .7]

Enjoy playing with it (I haven't traded off it yet, but am looking into using it).

Comments

• Thanks for contributing!
  • Trading Scans are fun. I like to change the starting date to review the different results it returns. Thanks for sharing it. Minervini has some interesting thoughts.
  • Is there a way to include the $StockTicker:$SPX ratio with a positive slope? Any way to add slope values into moving averages such as 200 showing positive slop for last 5 months etc?
  • You could try the PctRelative function:

[group is SP500]

and [PctRelative(20,$spx) > 0]

PctRelative is documented here:

https://stockcharts.com/docs/doku.php?id=scans:functions

This does not say the SLOPE is positive, it only says the per cent change of the symbol is greater than the per cent change for SPX over the number of bars indicated. But maybe that would be useful.
  • This link talks about Slope for ideas. I didn't test it for the PctRelative slope. Possibly a bridge too far.

https://stockcharts.com/docs/doku.php?id=scans:advanced_scan_syntax:overlay_scans
  • This is a legal statement and it produces results, but I didn't verify them. You could modify the parameters to your liking.

and [ Slope(200, sma(200,close)) > 0 ]
  • sweet I will play with that!
  • This scan does not work, anyone have a finalized scan?
  • Which scan are you referring to?

This gets 277 hits 4/25 after market close.

[group is SP500]
    and [ Slope(200, sma(200,close)) > 0 ]

• I was referring to the first scan posted.

and [today close > [SMA(50, close)]] and [ [SMA(50, close)] > [SMA(150, close) ] ] and [ [SMA(150, close)] > [SMA(200, close) ] ]

//Minervini Rule 6

//Minervini Rule 7
  • @jaslater , the scan posted works or runs. What issues are you experiencing?
  • Hi, is the scan presented in this thread the same as this one https://chartink.com/screener/mark-minervini-trend-template-with-volume ?

If not, is it possible to do this in stockcharts? And how would that scan look like in stockcharts?

Please allow one more question. How do I alter the scan to show those stocks which do not qualify for the template?

TIA
  • Code below Seems to match up with your link with the added last line.

//Minervini Rule 6

//Minervini Rule 7

// line added based on scan language from question's link
    and [Volume > SMA(20,volume)]

The only thing you need to add is your group of securities to scan against as the 1st lines of the code.

With so many variables in the scan code, it wouldn't be easy to determine what didn't pass the test unless you know your full list of securities that you are scanning against. Then you could export your results that passed the scan to CSV and then compare against the full list.