New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

User Defined Indicator

I am a newbe so please bear with me.

As I am creating a scan can I set up a user defined indicator?

Or is there a work around?

Comments

• If your user defined indicator is a combination of some sort of the available options, it could be possible. What are you looking to do?
  • I am trying to use a weighted ATR for qtr,half,3/4, and a year. The resulting value is reported if it’s >= 85 and sort in descending order from 100 to 85. I have written the formula and gotten an approved syntax. But I am not able to filter it. If I could create an indicator I think I could then filter it by asking for the indicator to exceed 84 and then use the “rank by” function
  • The light bulb just went on and brightly. Thanks so much for your response! Currently I have the filter greater than 85 and the rank by function working.

Now I need to figure out how to get the weighted ATR formula answer to appear on the scan result report - could you please point me in the right direction

I appreciate your help!
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited August 2019
    Unfortunately, the scan engine is designed to return only symbols, and selected data stored in the data base that is associated with the symbol (sector, industry, universe, etc.). The choice of data displayed is not configurable, except to exclude some of the default items.

It will display the value calculated for the rank by function, but that is the only exception.

So, if the rank by function will accept your weighted ATR formula, you could get the data that way. However, it seems the rank by function was designed to be used with the built-in indicators, and, at least in the past, did not reliably process a complex custom formula. That may have changed, but the only way to know is to try it.

If that doesn't work, I would guess that rank by using the most heavily weighted ATR would give you a very similar, if not identical, result (for rank order, not value). If you need to, you can probably reverse the order by multiplying by -1 (e.g. if the most heavily weighted value is consistently less than the remaining values).
  • Darn the luck.

Thanks so much for trying to help me.

Let me step back and think a bit to see if I can come up with a work around solution.