New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Scanning Bowley's Industry Relative list

I'm having lots of trouble getting ANY results scanning Boley's Industry Relative list. Removing criteria one at a time left me with the chartlist only in the scan, but I still get zero results....anybody know what's going on?

Comments

• do you have a link to the blog or the list or the scan?
  • What is Bowley's Industry Relative List? and what is your scan?
  • I had some success using scan for relative positioning of 20>50 and for level of ppo
  • Assuming you want to order industry charts by relative strength.... Simple way to sort relative strength to find current industries with relative strength is to go to your chartlist then order by return for desired period.... (3months for example) to ID recent top relative performers but you can certainly adjust for desired timeframe
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited August 2019
    If you are getting zero results when scanning for the chart list only, then the scan engine is not recognizing the list name you used in the scan. That might happen if you copied the scan. Even if you made a list by the same name, the scan engine uses the list NUMBER, not its text name.

I would recommend you delete the line in your scan that names the list, then add the list back by choosing the list from the Chart List drop down below the scan window (this will be a list you created in your own account, not any list you might have seen on Stockcharts TV). It will appear at the bottom of your scan ( you may have to scroll down to see it). Cut and paste it to the top of your scan (so it is the first line). If the word "and" appears as the first word of the first line, delete it (the word "and", not the line).
  • John Templeton has an Industry list and I can scan it. If I make a copy of his list and try to scan it there is nothing found. I use chartlist in the engine to select the correct list.
  • @CharlesK @djhbiz

Are you using the $DJUSxx symbols for the industries in your list?

Can you share your scans and at least a sample of the symbols in your lists?

Hard to help with so little information.

• Sample of symbols
    $DJUSDV:$SPX
    $DJUSSC:$SPX
    $DJUSSW:$SPX
    $DJUSAI:$SPX
    $DJUSCR:$SPX

Scan
    [FAVORITES LIST IS 77] AND [PCTRELATIVE(20,$SPX) > 0] AND [PCTRELATIVE(20,VTI) > 0] AND [[SCTR.LARGE >80] OR [SCTR.MID >90] OR [SCTR.SMALL >90]]

• markdmarkd mod
    edited August 2019
    So your list is all ratio symbol charts, but the scan engine database contains only individual symbols - in other words, $DJUSDV but not $DJUSDV:$SPX.

So, try making a list with only the $DJUSxx symbols and scan that.

However, the $DJUSxx symbols are indexes, not individual stocks. As far as I know, they don't have SCTR ranks, or, if they do, they won't have SCTR.large (large cap individual stocks) or SCTR.mid, etc. so that part of the scan will cause zero results.

The PctRelative part of the scan, if you run just that, should work.

If you want stocks by SCTR.xxx in individual industries, then you want something like

[group is Semiconductors] // corresponds, more or less, to stocks used to compute $DJUSSC index
    and [[SCTR.LARGE >80] OR [SCTR.MID >90] OR [SCTR.SMALL >90]]

Select the [group is xxx] from the Sector and Industry drop down under the scan window.

You could scan more than one industry at once with the sector

[group is ConsumerDiscretionary]

or you could combine selected industries into an or statement

[
    [group is Automobiles]

or

[group is SpecialtyRetailers]

or

etc.

]
  • The Templeton list I'm referencing has 104 symbols of the form $DJUSXX:$SPX.
    This scan — [FAVORITES LIST IS 77] AND [CLOSE > 1000] — returns BKNG and GOOGL.

Using edit I have created a complete copy of Templeton's list and I have created a copy that contains only Tom Bowley industry favorites. Running the scan above against these copies returns nothing.

There appears, at least to me, something "magical" about the way John Templeton created his list.

I greatly appreciate your efforts and I have reached out to earningsbeats for a possible explanation.

Charles
  • I have also created a chartlist that contains $DJUSCR and $DJUSL. Running the following scan — [FAVORITES LIST IS 25] AND [CLOSE > 0] — returns the indexes, not the stocks in those indexes
  • My so-called Templeton list is actually John Hopkins — oops.
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited August 2019
    As I mentioned in a previous answer, if you want scan the stocks in the indexes you can approximate the index membership by selecting the industry group from the Sectors and Industries drop down. But since the "group" will include a lot of junk (PINK and BB stocks,etc.) you may want to add a market cap requirement (e.g. >100M) or a volume requirement (e.g. sma(21, volume) > 50K or whatever).

If you want the actual index membership, you have to explore the DowJones/S&P website. The index membership data may be free or you may have to subscribe. In any case, membership in the indexes changes frequently as companies merge or change their business models (i.e. selling off or acquiring units that change the industries responsible for their main sources of revenue).
  • Thanks for your help. A laborious process that works is:
    • Using industry show all members
    • Copy to a spreadsheet
    • Save only tickers in a csv file
    • import the csv file
    Not sure I'm up to the task of doing 28 industries, or what I would actually achieve, but at least that's a solution
  • You can just run a scan and save the result to overwrite an existing list or merge to an existing list or make a new list.

Example:

// begin scan
    [group is DrugRetailers]
    // end scan

Run this scan.

On the results page, select an action from the Available Actions drop down above the results list.

This avoids the steps of copying to a spreadsheet and uploading a csv file..

• If you go into the spreadsheet, you can avoid the upload, if only looking to import the tickers and not any notes, by copying the symbols in the symbol column in Excel and pasting into a chartlist using the Many function.
  • I was able, using OR for all the 20 GROUP(s) I needed, followed by my criteria ([PCTRELATIVE(20,$SPX) > 0] AND [PCTRELATIVE(20,VTI) > 0] AND [[SCTR.LARGE >80] OR [SCTR.MID >90] OR [SCTR.SMALL >90]]) to generate 162 candidates. The initial universe was close to 1000 tickers which was more than my 500 tickers/chartlist so the criteria was important.

In the end no spreadsheet required and Available Actions created the new chartlist. An excellent learning experience for me. Very impressed by the help I received from those with patience.
  • You can also use $Industry or $Sector on the PctRelative, where you have VTI and $SPX if looking for something like that as well. I see Industry Relative in the original title of this thread.