New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Help with new breadth indicators

Anybody know what these do, or can point me to the documentation that explains these:

!5INDRXLE -- Energy (XLE) 5% Index - A-D
!10INDRXLE -- Energy (XLE) 10% Index - A-D

It appears to be some kind of Advance-Decline indicator. But what is the 5% and 10% part about?

thank you!

Comments

• Hi. For those who may not know, these two indexes are DecisionPoint (DP) indicators. DP indexes begin with an exclamation.

I am not certain and I would like to know for sure, but my estimation is that the 5 and 10 mean Top 5 and Top 10. If this is true, then they are a subset of the group. How is the Top 5/10 determined? I don't know, but I would guess Market Capitalization?

Maybe DP is trying to figure out what the XLE "Generals" are doing before making a decision about the entire sector?
  • Looks like I found the answer, and it is way different than the description above.
    "In the bottom panel are the two different EMAs of the (invisible) Advance/Decline ratio that are used to calculate the McClellan Oscillator. The red 39-day EMA is called the "5% Index" and the blue 19-day EMA is called the "10% Index." If both the 5% and 10% Indexes are positive, the market is strengthening. If they are both negative, it is weakening."
    This was taken from the: DP Chart Gallery.