New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.
Options

Code to scan for a positive slope for the 26 week price EMA

I have tried a few things but cant seem to get it right. I tried the Slope command on EMA and it isn't putting out accurate scans. I am getting instances when today's 26 week price EMA is < yesterday's 26 week price EMA. Please help and thanks in advance.

Best Answers

• Options
    gordgord admin
    edited March 2015 Answer ✓
    Could you post the scan coding you are having problems with and someone will take a look at it.

I assume you are using a Slope period of 2 as you are just comparing this week to last week.

and [weekly Slope(2, weekly EMA(26, close)) > 0]

• Options
    markdmarkd mod
    edited March 2015 Answer ✓
    How about:

and [ ema(26, weekly close) = max(5, ema(26, weekly close))]

So this says, find all stocks where the ema 26 is the highest it has been in 5 weeks. That doesn't allow any wiggle room to include rising emas that have turned down this week.

Edit the 5 in max(5, ...) to narrow/expand the types of situations you get. If you keep the number small, you can get situations where the ema is coming off a low. If you lengthen it, you will get longer trends (although they could be wavy).

Answers

• Options
    Thanks to gord and markd. You answered the question and provided a description of the output. Your appreciated.