New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Exchange inclusion

I am trying to scan for stocks only, no ETF's on NYSE, NASD, OR AMEX, but almost get the exact opposite. Thoughts?

[type = stock]
and [group is not ETF]
and [ [exchange is NYSE] or [exchange is NASD] or [exchange is AMEX] ]
and [Close > 10.9]
and [country is US]

Comments

• markdmarkd mod
    edited July 2015
    You are right - it's not easy getting just common stocks. The "type = stock" means anything that trades like a stock - that is, it is traded on a stock exchange. The other "type" options are "index" (doesn't trade at all), "futures" (doesn't trade on an exchange) and "fund" (also doesn't trade on an exchange).

So, if you want to exclude everything but common stocks, you still need the type=stock statement, but then you have to specifically exclude anything you don't want by finding some common characteristics in either the name or the symbol. So, for instance I have scans where I want to exclude partnerships, funds and trusts. Here's the "universe" scan statements that do that:

and [name not contains "Fund"]
    and [name not contains "Income"]
    and [name not contains "LLC"]
    and [name not contains "LP"]
    and [name not contains "L.P.]
    and [name not contains "L P]
    and [name not contains "L. P.]
    and [name not contains "Partners"]
    and [name not contains "Rlty"]
    and [name not contains "Royalty"]
    and [name not contains "Trust"]
    and [name not contains "Tr "]

If you want to exclude preferred and other special shares, it's:

and [symbol not contains "/"]

If you try this approach you will probably find more characters to exclude from the name or symbol. Hope that helps.
  • Thanks. How would you go about trying to exclude specific exchanges? I wanted to exclude TSE, NSE and LSE to only get NYSE, NASD or AMEX.
  • Your existing code for exchanges should work - specifying the exchanges you want will exclude the others.