New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Bollinger Band

Is there a way to make the BB middle band invisible? My purpose is to replace the mb with the amazing new KAMA.

Best Answers

• lambchopslambchops
    Answer ✓
    Thanks Markd, you forced me to put my 78 year old thinking cap on. I changed the BB style to "area" with gold as the background & changed the Opacity to .5, it works 98%. I really appreciate your hard work on this site.
  • gordgord admin
    edited December 2015 Answer ✓
    Here's another little trick you might want to try.

Set up your chart with standard BB indicator, the middle dotted line will be the 20MA in this case. I then overlaid another 20MA, made it a solid thick line and then made the color white the same as my background. This pretty well hides the line except in a few spots where you will see the white line crossing a few candles.

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=SPY&p=D&yr=0&mn=6&dy=0&id=p77425882522

Now just add the KMA indicator.

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=SPY&p=D&yr=0&mn=6&dy=0&id=p37245712966

Click on the links below the charts to see how they were set up.
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited December 2015 Answer ✓
    Thanks, @gord . Yes, I remember Kevo's post. I've used that option extensively in my own charts. Re documentation, overall it has become very thorough. Chart School alone is a tremendous reference. I understand how difficult it is for technical writers to anticipate what users might want to do with the tools and options available. You have to stop somewhere.

Answers

• I don't see a way to do that. If you use a colored background for your chart, you could use a contrasting color for the KAMA and more or less match the color of the BB to the background and play with the line type and opacity settings to minimize the mb visibility, while keeping the BBs themselves visible, but you can't get rid of the mb completely.
  • That's disappointing, my former charting service could do it.
  • replace it with the MA you have set for BB with a diff color.
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited December 2015
    Clever. I like that. 78 years young, I think you mean :) Thanks for the kind words.
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited December 2015
    @gord perfect solution. I didn't realize "white" was a color option, since it's not available in the color drop down under advanced options for indicators. Good to know! I hope @lambchops comes back to see your idea.

P.S. I don't see that the ":color" option, or a list of available colors is documented on the Support page or in Chart School. If I missed it, would you have the link? Thanks!
  • gordgord admin
    edited December 2015
    Hi Markd, yes Lambchops has seen my post.

I think StockCharts was just being smart, when your background is white they eliminated that option from the dropdown menu. If you change your color scheme to say "night" then white is there.

As for this trick, I read it here many months ago, Kevo was the one who found it.

http://scan.stockcharts.com/discussion/comment/764

As for Chartschool or support documentation, this may just be one of those little tricks that's low on StockCharts list of things to document. As Chip has said in the past its easy to add things but very difficult to take them away. This may also be one of those things that will interfere with another feature in the future.