New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

$SPX Seasonality Chart closes up 53% of the time in August but loses 1.2% in August?

On a recent market message, $SPX was up 53% of the time in August and it had a percentage loss of -1.2% for August during the period of time from 1995 to 2014. How is it up 53% of the time, but it loses -1.2% during that period of time? It seems like I am missing something with this, or I don't fully understand. What is the difference between being up 53% of the time and percentage loss of -1.2% ? Maybe if someone can explain how these two are calculated, that might help to understand this better. Attached is the related screen shot. I have not seen this explained on SCC. Thanks. Any help would be appreciated.

Answers

• Here's a link to the whole market message article by Arthur Hill.

http://stockcharts.com/members/analysis/20140801-1.html

I would say that Arthur has it correct with his explanation in the text, excerpt below.
    The index rose just 53% of the time in August and the average gain was actually a loss (-1.2%). Even though the index advanced more often than it declined, the percentage gains were smaller than the percentage losses.