New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Why are not my sector filters picking up stocks in their sector?

I am having trouble with filtering in my scan. I have a scan which filtered for only "and [group is sp500]" which today turned up the following stocks: AA (materials) and NEM (Materials, Gold Mining).
I then replaced that line with the following code.
"and [ [group is MaterialsSector] or [group is EnergySector] or [group is GeneralMining] or [group is GoldMining] ]"
Running the scan again yielded no results. Why did this modified scan still pick up AA and NEM, which were picked up by "and [group is sp500]"?
Thanks.

Best Answer

• markdmarkd mod
    edited September 2016 Answer ✓
    After market close, AA and NEM don't show up on either scan. There is also no overlap of any symbols for the alternate conditions - which doesn't mean anything.

But, I wonder if you ran the scan in one instance for "as of last close" and in the other instance "as of last intraday update". I've noticed when I edit a scan that I've loaded as "as of last close", the "as of" changes to "last intraday update" EVEN THOUGH I did not want that to change (I think that's the default behavior of the Scan Criteria window, although it shouldn't be.)

UPDATE:
    If you run the scan now (9/7 after market close) AS OF market close 9/6 (1 day ago), both symbols show up with either condition.

Answers

• I'm not sure I understand the question:

"Running the scan again yielded no results" - "Why did this modified scan still pick up AA and NEM"

Did you get no results, or the same results by asking for specific sectors/groups?
  • So sorry. That was a typo. I meant to say "Why did this modified scan not pick up AA and NEM?".
    When I asked for specific sectors/groups I got no results. I was expecting to get AA and NEM.
  • Should work, unless you inadvertently modified something else.

If you want, post the whole scan.
  • Here is the whole scan. Note line 3 was replaced with line 4 by commenting out line 3. Thanks for your help.

[type is stock] and [close > 5] and [close < 500] and [country is US] // US stock $5-500
    and [Daily Volume > 1,000,000] and [sma(21, volume) > 1,000,000] // Ave Vol and current Vol > 1 million
    // and [group is sp500]
    and [ [group is MaterialsSector] or [group is EnergySector] or [group is GeneralMining] or [group is GoldMining] ]
    // Find stock w/ strength (rising LC21) & have hi, lo or close w/in 1ATR of recent max LC21or K21 has been <20
    and [max(5, Lower Price Chan(21)) > 10 days ago min(10, Lower Price Chan(21))] // LC 21 is rising
    and [ [min(5, Fast Stoch %K(21,1)) < 20] // begin OR statement, K21 has been below 20
    or [ absval( high - max(5, Lower Price Chan(21))) < ATR(5) ] // high is within 1 ATR above or below LC21
    or [ absval(low - max(5, Lower Price Chan(21))) < ATR(5) ] ] // low w/in 1 ATR above/below LC21, end OR stmnt
    and [AccDist > yesterday's AccDist]
    and [close > sma(50, close)] // today's close is above 50 MA
    and [sma(50,close) > 10 days ago sma(50, close)] // 50 MA is rising
    and [sma(200, close) > 21 days ago sma(200,close)] // 200 MA is rising
    and [sma(50,close) > sma(200, close)] // 50 MA is above the 200 MA today
    and [21 days ago sma(50,close) - 21 days ago sma(200, close) > 0] // 50 MA was above 200 MA a month ago
    // 50d more above 200d today than month ago
    and [sma(50, close) - sma(200,close) > 21 days ago sma(50,close) - 21 days ago sma(200,close)]
    // end scan
  • Thanks. I am pretty sure that is exactly what I did. I know to watch for that now. Thanks again for great help.