New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

8 sma just cross the 20 sma

How do I scan for stocks where the 8 sma just cross the 20 sma to within 5 % above it.

Best Answer

• gordgord admin
    Answer ✓
    I don't see anything in your scan that would eliminate an intraday scan. However be aware an interday scan is a daily scan run during the day. IE all the values at the time you run the scan are considered EOD values. So its usually OK for High, Low, Open and Price on stable stocks, the big problem is any indicator based on volume as its cumulative thru the day, ie the volume at 9:45am will always be alot less than the total days volume at 4:00pm. Just set the "starting 0 days ago, to last intraday update".

Now for the part "8 sma just cross the 20 sma to within 5 % above it".

Just add the following clause:

and [sma(8,close) < sma(20,close) * 1.05 ]

Also note, your most restricting clause is the [ATR(14) > 1.5], this cut my hits today down from 106 to 3, and some of those looked rather interesting. You might want to play with the ATR settings.

// Advanced scan setup for development
    [ type = stock]
    and [sma(8,close) X today's sma(20,close)]
    and [sma(8,close) < sma(20,close) * 1.05 ]
    and [Close > 5.0]
    and [optionable is true]
    and [ATR(14) > 1.5]

Here's a link to the chartstyle
    http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=PXD&p=D&yr=0&mn=1&dy=0&id=p51814510337&a=366117261

hope this helps,
    Gord

Answers

• [ type = stock]
    and [sma(8,close) X today's sma(20,close)]
    and [Close > 5.0]
    and [optionable is true]
    and [ATR(14) > 1.5]
    # This is what I came out, but it's only good for end of day and not during trading hours.
  • Thanks a lot Gord