New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Monthly Stochastic X-Up

Hi

I'm looking for a scan that would capture stocks with their MONTHLY stochastic X-up from below 20. Can anyone help with writing such a scan ? Thanks again.

Comments

• Hi

Please let me clarify my question. I am looking for one scan that would capture stocks with their MONTHLY stochastic X-up from below 20. Also I want to write another scan that simply captures MONTHLY Stochastic X-up its signal line, this doesn't need to be below 20. Thanks again for all your help.
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited July 2017
    Here's a blog entry from a while ago that explains crossover scans:

http://stockcharts.com/articles/scanning/2009/02/scanning-for-crossovers.html?st=cross+above

The other trick you need to know is how to modify the time frame for an indicator in a scan. If you just use the indicator by itself, e.g.

Fast Stoch %K(14,3)

then the scan engine assumes you mean the daily time frame and uses daily data.

If you want a different time frame, and all the parameters in the indicator are numbers, like the %K example above, then you have to modify the indicator with a time frame specifier before it, e.g.

monthly Fast Stoch %K(14,3)

But if any parameters are text, then you have to modify BOTH the indicator AND the text parameter, e.g.

weekly sma(13, weekly close)

When you are writing a scan in the Advanced Scan Workbench, you can select any term you want, including technical indicators like Fast/Slow/Full %K and %D, from the drop downs in the "Scan Builder" section under the Scan Criteria window and the click on "Insert". A default version of the selected item will appear below any existing text in the Scan Criteria window. You may have to edit the default text and/or cut and paste it into your existing scan text. For example, in your case you will have to arrange %K and 20, and %K and %D around an "x" operator.

Details on scan syntax can be found through the links on this page:

http://stockcharts.com/docs/doku.php?st=scan+syntax&id=scans:reference

If you get stuck, post what you have.
  • Thanks, Mark. I will have to get to work and post if further questions.