New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

How to write a scan - Anyone able to help this 70 year young man

For Stockcharts.com

Stocks = US and CDN

Time of search EMA 5 Crossed EMA 20

daily average volume over 50 days => 250,000

Stock price => 30.00

price must be above 200 MA

thanks

Takbir

Comments

• markdmarkd mod
    edited April 2019
    You can put together a lot of this scan using the drop down selections on the Advanced Scan workbench. The new advanced editor will prompt you, too, and suggest corrections.

First, delete the default text from the text window so the window is completely blank.

Then, for "Stocks = US and CDN" :

select "country" from the Ticker Properties and click Add.

Note it fills in "US" for you.

Now copy that and paste it to the end of the same line.

Delete "US" and type "c". The advanced editor suggests "Canada", so click on that.

Now put one opening bracket "[" at the very beginning of the line, in front of country is US and then put a closing bracket "]" at the very end of the line, after country is Canada.

Now put the word "or" (not "and") between country is US and country is Canada.

If you see a red box with a white "x" in it, that means there is a syntax error. Put your cursor over the red box to see what it is, and fix it. You may have to click the "Check Syntax" button under the text window to clear the red boxes.

Then, for "stock price > 30":

select "close" from the Price Volume SCTRs drop down and edit the price for 30.

Then, for "price must be above 200 MA"

select "close" again as before

delete the price and type "sm"; click on the SMA suggestion from the editor

edit the suggestion - delete "volume", type "close"; delete "50", type "200"; delete "> 9999999"

Then, for "daily average volume over 50 days => 250,000"

select "SMA" from the Technical Indicators drop down; edit the suggestion to your requirements.

Finally, for "Time of search EMA 5 Crossed EMA 20"

"Time of search" doesn't mean anything in Stockcharts, so just ignore it.

select "EMA" from the drop down

edit the suggestion - change "50" to "5"; change "volume" to "close", change ">" to "x" (x is the crossover operator); delete "999999", type "E", select EMA from the suggestions and edit to "20, close" and delete the ">999999".

If you have any red boxes, make the suggested corrections.

If you get stuck, post what you have.

• Thank you so much.

which country are you in

i will try the way you suggested.

best regards

Takbir

• I need some creating a scan.

3 EMA and 60 EMA both inside the day’s trading range and close above 3 EMA and low below 60 EMA .

thanks

• The method for creating this scan is straight forward. Like your previous scan, you can construct it from the drop downs, with some edits. Select ema from the drop downs and edit.

So, "inside the day's range" means

and EMA < high
    and EMA > low

Close above the EMA is just

and close > EMA

Low below the EMA is just

and low < EMA

I'll leave it to you to get the syntax right (with brackets and parameters). If you have trouble, post what you have. The advanced editor should help flag any mistakes.
  • It did not work. What I am looking for is the 3 EMA and 60 EMA both inside daily range and close above open. I hope some one can help me here. This formula truly works for long term investing. I am sure there is someone out there who would know how to write this scan.
  • do you have the code that didn't work? copy and paste it here.
  • Is there a phone number I can reach you at and then I will explain it all. Thanks
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited September 2019
    Sorry, no.

Follow the detailed instructions I laid out for you above as best you can. This is what I would tell you on the phone.

Copy and paste your best effort here if it does not work.
  • Hi Markd: I will try again. Thanks and regards.