New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Scanning from a Specific Date??

I would like to scan for stocks that are trading higher than they were on a specific date. (Jan 2 2020)

Is there a method of inputting the date rather than x number of days ago?

Comments

• At the top of the scan workbench is a calendar. Click on the zero box in the line that says "starting 0 trading days ago". and select Jan 2 2020 on the calendar. This will then display the number of days from Jan 2 2020 in that window.

In your workbench select PctChange and use that days number in the filter

and [PctChange(??,close) > 0]

The number you found in the calendar window replaces the ?? so your are asking for securities that are trading more than 0% higher than they were ?? days ago.

Change the number in the calendar window back to 0 and run your scan.

Changing the date is a great way to "backtest" as well. if you have a spiffy scan you like the results of, try changing the date at the top to a year ago and run the scan to see what results it was feeding you then. Or last month, or last quarter, or 5 years ago.

It's a fun feature.
  • Thank you; I can do that but I was hoping to be able to save the scan and bring it up daily to check if any stocks are trading higher than a specific date.

At least now I won't be guessing at the number of days I have to go back. Thanks again
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited August 2020
    I don't know if it would help, but the Industry Summary page has an option to display industry price change by year to date.

https://stockcharts.com/freecharts/industrysummary.html#&O=7

Industries up since that date show the price change in green. So you might scan for those industries, maybe with a rank by SCTR statement - those at the top likely to be up the most, if that is what you are looking for.

P.S. I'm not sure what you will see with that link. When I click on it, it shows the page with my customized chart style for that page. You might see the same thing. If you go to your own Industry Summary page, you should see either a default chart style or your customized style.
  • Thanks Markd; I'll take a look
  • If you have a chartlist, you can view it in Summary view and one of the options for the period is YTD. You can sort the return column in ascending or descending order.
  • Imkwin; Thank you ; that will help.