New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

scan for displaced averages

Any way to scan for displaced average such as sma(20,-14) crossing another SMA?

Comments

• markdmarkd mod
    edited August 2020
    The advanced scan editor gives you an error - incorrect number of parameters - if you add a parameter for displacement, so I think probably not.

I haven't tried it, but you could try scanning for say, 14 days ago sma(20,close) x 10 days ago sma(50, close); you would probably get results, but it might be a problem to verify them. But give it a try.
  • In the ChartSchool on DPO (Detrended Price Oscillator) they mention this:

The Detrended Price Oscillator is not well suited for scans because the indicator is based on an offset moving average. A 20-day DPO correlates to a price 11 days ago, which is not practical for scans.

That being said, DPO is an available option in the Technical Indicator Scan filters so I don't see why the offset MA shouldn't pass syntax. Whether it "works" (returns results you expect) is entirely something different.
  • Thank you both for your kind and inciteful replies. I will try them out these next few days.