New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

scanning multiple chartlists

Hello

If I were to scan multiple chart-lists, would the following be the best way to write it :

[[Chart List A] or [Chart List B] or [Chart List C] or [Chart List D]]

and

[50xRSI(5)]

Will this miss any symbol in above chart Lists ? Or is there a better way to accomplish the same but more accurately ? Thanks

Comments

• That's the way to do it.

When you write the scan, select each list from the Chartlists drop down. Then cut an paste and edit them into the syntax you have above.

It won't miss any symbols in your lists that fit your conditions. You can verify this by reviewing all your charts using a chart style that includes the indicator(s) in the scan. Scan results display automatically in your default chart style, but you can apply any other chart style for reviewing the results once you save the results to a list.
  • Thank you, markd.
  • I checked each chart individually and compared with the alert result using multiple chart lists scan above. The multiple chart-list scan alert seems to miss a few symbols. Not sure if this multiple chart-list scan really works or is there a better way so not to miss any symbols ?
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited June 2021
    It's difficult to verify an alert (versus an after hours scan) because the intraday data (i.e. data from the trading session while in progress) is constantly changing. So by the time you verify the results, the data may have changed.

Also, it may be that if a symbol already meets the alert condition before the alert starts to run then the alert will not be triggered (I'm assuming an alert triggers when a condition BECOMES true, and not if it is already true - I don't know if that's the case, but it makes sense to me).

If you run a scan (as opposed to an alert) after hours when the data is stable, and the scan misses something you think it should pick up, double check that your chart's indicator parameters (and time frame) match your scan parameters, and that your scan really says what you think it says (including the run date) and if you still are convinced the scan is not picking up something, report it to Support, with all the details - the scan and screen shots of the missed symbols from as close to the scan time as you can. Note that the after hours data is not "stable" until the last update of the day, which is about 6 pm Eastern (assuming you are looking at US markets).

• lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    what symbols did it miss?
  • ELY, UPS, KPTI for [40xRSI(5)] on Friday. Not sure why alert missed these symbols.
  • The symbols you cite were all RSI > 40 as of the previous day's close, so if the alert was in place before the market open, you should have received alerts. They all fell sharply in the first half hour, so probably crossed 40 then. If the alert was activated later than that, it might not have triggered. But if it was in place before the open, something is wrong.

You could be right that the scans are not set up deal with multiple chart list universes. It's worth submitting the question to Support.
  • I even set up alert with individual chart-list and those symbols are missed as well. So not sure if this cross function works or is there a better way ? Yes, I will submit this to Support. Thank you.
  • lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    When I run this today as a scan, it shows all three.

[[symbol starts with 'ELY'] or [symbol starts with 'UPS'] or [symbol starts with 'KPTI']]

AND [40 x RSI(5)]

I don't know if it makes a difference. I run alerts on multiple lists as well. I have some that are looking for Weekly indicator changes and some looking at daily. I set the daily's to run at market close. The Weekly's to run at market open.

Like I said, I don't know if it makes a difference. They were in the system changing up some settings so they might have inadvertently knocked something in there out of kilter.
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited June 2021
    I got the same result after hours. In real time, either it didn't find the symbols at all, or, if it found the symbols it thought the value was already below 40 so there was no cross; or, it thought the value was still above 40.
    The likely explanation is there were real-time data update problems on the scan/alert database that are/were not apparent on the chart database. It's not the scan logic because it works when the data is there. It's possible the alert design does not anticipate looking it multiple lists, and handles it in some funny way, but that seems less likely.