New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Pre market Scanning at stockcharts.com

Hi:
I really like the classic Stockcharts.com templates. Let's establish that. The original work done years ago was leading edge. I have been in the market since 1982.. I am somewhat taken aback how recently I feel that stockcharts.com has lost it's fighting, competitive spirit. I am using ThinkorSwim platform, which completely outperforms stockcharts.com -except in the clarity and precision of the classic charts-which I still use religiously and loyally to monitor my positions. I am completely happy with that aspect of stockcharts.com. A. Hill and the boys did a great development job.. way back when.
However:::
I have been hopeful that someone has focused on developing a good pre-market scans for identifying stocks that are prime candidates for trading:
(It seems very much lacking in stockcharts.com horizon that G.Rose would devote so much time to what I consider the very inadequate ACAP stockcharts). this last your and never mention how important it is to survey the before pre market activity that the dark pools of money and the Wall Street traders are creating and tracking to get jump on all the retail traders:
Question 1: Is pre market stocks information included in the scans? Please, I hope someone come up with a straight answer..
Question 2: How precisely with the Advanced scanner can one create the following : A screen for all stocks above a certain Prices during the pre-market period with either trading range or even a Gap % of > or < 4% from the previous day close (previously MarkD moderator posted a msg
to quote:" but assuming pre-market data is treated like regular session data, the most recent intraday update would be considered "end of day" (as odd as that sounds). So, you should be able to run a gap scan during pre-market hours - open > 1 day ago close. Or, low > 1 day ago close."
But unfortunately, that sentence is not clarify for me what the scan language should be to accomplish that..
Question 3: How precisely can I create a volume screen line to show me a pre-market volume that is equal or greater than 20% of average day volume, showing essentially what alert traders are doing to accumulate stealth positions that they will build and enter into with even more money.
Sincerely
Trader June 29-30th, 2021.
Would love to discuss and give and receive some help in expanding the Scan Utility..
With appreciation in advance.

Comments

• markdmarkd mod
    edited July 2021
    Question 1: Is pre market stocks information included in the scans? Please, I hope someone come up with a straight answer..

This is the documentation I could find using site search. It says pre-market data is available for charts. It does not say whether it is available for scanning. But it doesn't say it's not available, which is why I recommended giving it a try and see what happens.

https://support.stockcharts.com/doku.php?id=data#extended_hours_data

But unfortunately, that sentence is not clarify for me what the scan language should be to accomplish that..

There does not appear to be any special language required for scanning during pre-market, if in fact that is possible.

Question 3: How precisely can I create a volume screen line to show me a pre-market volume that is equal or greater than 20% of average day volume, showing essentially what alert traders are doing to accumulate stealth positions that they will build and enter into with even more money.

Please note that this is a user site. No one employed by Stockcharts contributes here, only unpaid users willing to contribute time and effort. Speaking for myself and no one else, I am very willing to help people who are willing to help themselves, but I am not providing scan writing services. If a question concerns logic or syntax that are beyond what a beginner might be expected to know after moderate effort with the documentation and videos, I will correct syntax or logic at my discretion, but as a rule, I do not provide complete scans ready to run. That would turn into a full time job.
  • lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    Are you able to create these scans on TOS platform? I would think that a platform that completely outperforms StockCharts.com should be able to accomplish the tasks you require. Instead of bashing StockCharts.com here, the user forums for TOS should be able to help you accomplish this.

There are some videos on YouTube that talk about premarket scanning in TOS. Below is one. There appear to be several.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MxZwWNKk38

Hope this helps.