New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.
Options

How to create a chart that shows the S&P 500 vs % of DJIA stocks above their 10 day moving average

this is not a scan but I'm trying to find out how to chart the S&P 500 vs. the percentage of DJIA stocks above their 10 day moving average. Lot's of websites show this with a 20, 500, 200 dma (stockcharts.com) being one but I prefer to chart eh 10 day.
Anyone know how to do this? Thanks in advance!

Best Answer

• Options
    markdmarkd mod
    Answer ✓
    I can't find any !GT indicators for 10 days either. lmkwin's solution is likely the best available on stockcharts. A little tedious compared to using one of the built-in indicators, but if it gives you an edge, why not?

Here's the link explaining how it's done:

https://support.stockcharts.com/doku.php?id=data:user-defined_indexes

P.S. if you would like to explore an alternative: You can plot the !GT20, 50, 200 indicators with 80-20 horizontal lines for an index or any sector. The 20 seems to be the most useful, e.g. when the 20 gets below the 20 horizontal line, while the 200 is above (or near) the 200 line, or rising from below the 20, good long entries are probably setting up. In other words, its a dip in bull market probably nearing completion.

Answers

• Options
    lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    I don't know what an Index / % of stocks above a user defined % of stocks over a MA from a different index will tell you. I haven't seen that chart, but you could set up a scan Group is Dow30 and close > sma or ema 10 close should return the number of the set that are above the ma of your choice.

You would keep the data values in a User Defined Index. This creates a symbol called @MYINDEX which you can then chart.
  • Options
    this is what I'm trying to replicate. I've been getting this info free on Index Indicator's website - Hopefully you can see my screenshotindexindicators.com/charts/sp500-vs-djia-stocks-above-10d-sma-params-6m-x-x-x/
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. I like your idea of substituting the 20dma on the !GT - will compare the two for awhile to see how they both perform.
  • Options
    lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    Perhpas, to get your view, Use the Price indicator and put in your symbol(s) of choice. Show Behind Price. Add any Overlays to the Indicator as you like.

I added the Price indicator on there twice, you'd fill in a MA on that overlay if you were looking for that