New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Real Motion by Markey Gauge

Looking for a way to scan for the Real Motion indicator, can't do it in ACP. Are there indicators to use in scans in Sharp Charts that might mirror the Real Motion indicator ? Anyone know we will be able to run scan in ACP in the future ?

Best Answers

• lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You're welcome.

I use Point and Figure charts with PnF moving averages to make the call on trend changes. Unfortunately you can't scan for those.

Good luck. If you get stuck, post your code for ideas.
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited October 2021 Answer ✓
    Kevin, you can get the proper names and syntax for any available indicator from the Technical Indicator drop downs under the scan window. That will take care of the problems you are encountering due to misplaced or missing parentheses and misnamed indicators (like "an integer was expected"; the error messages are correct, but are not easy to understand; just know that there is probably a syntax error of some kind - usually parentheses or brackets).

The indicator you select and add from the drop down will appear on the bottom line in the scan window with its default parameters. You can then copy and paste it where you want it in your scan. Then you can edit the parameters to your requirements, if necessary.

You will probably still have to figure out the brackets [ ] on your own, but most of the time there are just two brackets per line, as in

and [MACD Line(12,26,9) > MACD Signal(12,26,9)]

unless you have to group arithmetic operations, as in

and [ [high + low]/close > close]

Note you never use parentheses ( ) except with indicators like SMA(20,close) or special functions like max(20,high).

If you don't use parentheses where you need them, you will get an error. Brackets are always used in pairs, so if you have an odd number of brackets, you will get an error.

It is good form to start a new line every time you use "and" - in other words, one statement per line. It's not an error if you don't, but one statement per line makes it easier to find and fix errors.

If an indicator is not in the Technical Indicators drop down, it is not supported by the scan engine and you will get some variation of a syntax error.

Answers

• lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    edited October 2021
    RealMotion indicator as explained by Market Gauge
    “The brown dots are a dot plot of the individual values of the RealMotion variable. Essentially, they divide the equity price by the moving average of that price (here 200 period). We then subtract one and multiply that value by 100. This centers the indicator at zero (when price = moving average then RealMotion will equal zero). Furthermore, by multiplying by 100 we make it so that when RealMotion = 5.0 we can say that the price is 5% greater than the reference moving average.”

So it approximately appears to be a PPO 1,??,1 with the ?? being the period but with dots

This should get you pretty close. And if it's close, then those parameters could be used in scans

You CAN run scans in ACP , but you can't run scans using ACP Only indicators. Real Motion is an ACP ONLY indicator.

• IMKWIN Thank you !!!
  • not sure still trying to digest your thoughts
  • IMKWIN what you have given me is very close, I'm using the Real Motion MktGauge 200/50 (200,200,50), From what I seen this is a pretty good trend change indicator. It looks like your Bollinger bands are to wide ? I will play with it a bit. I very much appreciate your help! It would have taken me forever to get this close.
  • IMKWIN You have helped so much, sorry to be a pest. I would like to be able to run scans showing when the signal line crosses below and above the 50 and 200 day SMA, I have no idea where to start. I have written scans in the past but this is over my head. I appreciate your help.
  • the signal line is the PPO, the SMA ?? PPO is the thing that is crossed.

for a cross above it would be PPO x SMA ?? PPO

for cross below it would be SMA ?? PPO x PPO

so on this, I believe the cross ups would be:

[PPO Line(1,200,1) x SMA(50, PPO Line(1,200,1))] //signal line cross above 50 SMA

[PPO Line(1,200,1) x SMA(200, PPO Line(1,200,1))] //signal line cross above 200 SMA

[SMA(50, PPO Line(1,200,1)) x SMA(200, PPO Line(1,200,1))] //50 SMA cross above 200 SMA

• Imkwin Thank you for your help, I owe you dinner, Would be glad to get gift certificate to you.
  • The MA of the Indicator (overlay of indicator) scans had me confused for a long time. markd provided great assistance to me on it a few/ several years ago that helped me a lot.

You asked for help. I was able to help. It's what this forum is about. When I saw it was a PPO related question, I went to my PPO related scan and modified the conditions.
  • Imkwin , one last question, My scan for signal line moving below the 50 SMA is [SMW,50, PPO Line X PPO Line (1,200,1))] IO keep getting Could not parse (50PPO Line (an integer was expected ? Thanks for all the help.
  • In the code I posted for cross above, the X in the middle tells the scan engine what to do with the comparison of the 2 requirements.

PPO Line(1,200,1) x SMA(50, PPO Line(1,200,1))

The PPO Line for the parameters of the PPO listed crosses above the SMA parameter line of the PPO Line for the parameters of the PPO listed

A cross below you would take what is on the Right side of the X and move it to the left side, and take what is on the Left side of the X and move it to the right side.

Left crosses above Right. So if the SMA has crossed above the PPO then the PPO has crossed below the SMA.

• Imkwin Thanks so much for the help over the last week, finally got both scans to work
  • markd thnks for the help !
  • Also, if you want to display the PPO as a histogram, change the 1,200,1 to 1,200,0 The histogram view makes 0 line crosses a little easier to notice.