New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Scanning Range of Market Caps

I am having trouble scanning a range of Market Caps. I want to get MC's below $300M but above $50M. I use the following in my scan:

and [market cap >= 50]
and [market cap <= 300]

I get a result of 2000. Looking at the MC's of the results, some are clearly out outside of this range. Any ideas?

Comments

• markdmarkd mod
    edited December 2021
    I also get 2000 results, but they are all within 50 - 300 million

You can see this if you add a "rank by " statement to the end of your scan:

// begin scan

[market cap >= 50]
    and [market cap <= 300]

rank by market cap

// end scan

The "results" page will show you the market cap values in the very last column.

I noticed the first line of your scan includes the word "and", which makes me think you have other code preceding these two lines, since the first line of a scan cannot begin with "and". Possibly those lines are causing unexpected results.

If you want fewer results, try some lines to limit your universe - e.g. by exchange.

If you are in the US, you might try a first line like

[exchange is NYSE]

Or, you could have an "or" statement that includes all the US exchanges:

[ [exchange is NYSE] or [exchange is NASD] or [exchange is AMEX] ]

If you are in another country, try the appropriate exchange names.

If you want to exclude ETFs,

and [group is not ETF]

Or, you could limit the scan to groups, like indexes or sectors or industries.

Here are some ticker properties that might be useful for limiting the scan's universe:

https://support.stockcharts.com/doku.php?id=scans:reference:ticker_properties
  • Thanks for your help. My complete scan is below:

[type is stock]
    and [country is US]
    and [market cap <= 300]
    and [market cap >= 50]
    and [exchange is NYSE]
    or [exchange is AMEX]
    or [exchange is NASDAQ]
    and [Close > 1.00]
    and [Volume > 10000]

When I run the scan, I get 2000 results. First is ticker AAAU MC = $403M on the chart. Also AAL shows up with $11.1B MC. I will try what you have suggested. Thanks
  • Part of the problem ranking by MC on the results page, is you can't edit (delete those you don't want). You can do that when you save it over to a Chart List, but you don't have access to the MC column to do it. There is something squirrelly going on with the SC Scan.
  • markdmarkd mod
    edited December 2021
    You are getting the out of bounds results because your "or" statements are not isolated in brackets.

2000 is the results limit, which means your scan is probably actually retrieving more than 2000, but the results page displays only the first 2000.

If your "or" statements are not properly isolated with brackets, it means you want EVERYTHING that meets ANY condition in your scan.

So, you are getting everything that is a stock, everything that is US, etc.

So you need to edit for the brackets around the "or" statements, like this

[type is stock]
    and [country is US]
    and [market cap <= 300]
    and [market cap >= 50]
    and
    [

[exchange is NYSE]
    or [exchange is AMEX]
    or [exchange is NASDAQ]
    ]

and [Close > 1.00]
    and [Volume > 10000]

But if you are specifying the exchanges, you probably don't need country is US.
  • Worked. Thanks.