New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

time frames

is there syntax to scan for an event that happened between two dates in the past...
ie, looking to scan for 30% gain in 5 days that happened between 3 weeks and 4 weeks ago
Thanks

Answers

• Two ways:

1 - write the scan as if it is first occurring today, then use the calendar option (Starting x days from today) to run the scan as of some date in the past - .e.g. close > 4 days ago close *1.3, with a selected scan date 3 weeks ago.

2 - use "days ago" modifiers that are five days apart - e.g. 20 days ago close > 24 days ago close *1.3 and run the scan as of today.

• If your requirement is that it has to be up over 30% from day 1 to day 5, the PctChange is also an option.

[PctChange(5,close) > 30]

• That's even better. I keep forgetting about those functions.

Here's the page where they are all defined:

https://support.stockcharts.com/doku.php?id=scans:functions
  • Nothing to add to this topic, but wanted to thank 'markd'. I've never posted on here before now, but you've helped me many times already. Thank you.
  • Thanks for the kind words. I want to acknowledge @lmkwin as well, whose experience and depth of knowledge trading knowledge far exceeds my own.
  • @markd Thank you for your kind words. I echo @dtkrause, and most everyone else on these boards, in saying thank you for your devotion to helping people learn and understand things in a way that is, dare I say, perfect in tone and presentation.

I walk in your shadow. It's very nice back here. Not too hot. Not too cold.
  • @lmkwin

lol, as the kids say. Thanks.