New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.
Options

RS changes for the week

From the 250+ name market segment list I keep. RS changes this week... "Winners", Volatility and China related names. "Losers", Energy related names.

Comments

• Options
    markdmarkd mod
    edited June 2022
    Interesting.

I have a $DJUS industry ROC scan that I usually run for quarterly performance (ROC(63)). Per your post, out of curiosity I ran it for 5 days (ROC(5)). The top two industries were Delivery Services ($DJUSAF) and Diversified REITs ($DJUSDT).

On a weekly chart, the best looking AF stock was FedEx (FDX), which is above its just turned up weekly MA 13. That was the only one with a bullish tone. The best looking DT stock was W.P.Carey (WPC), which just tested its rising weekly MA 13 (and also pays 5%).

Like your results, Exploration and Production ($DJUSOS) and Equipment and Services ($DJUSOI) were the bottom two - maybe a result of the Biden comments.

Doing the same for a list of iShares country ETFs, China (-1.25) and Malaysia (-2.67) came out on top, Canada and Brazil on the bottom (-8ish %).
  • Options
    lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    I was reading a freight analysis that showed a decline in container volume has already started. Container shippers pricing already softening. Truckload carrier capacity has been increasing and pricing has starting to soften. LTL (less than truckload) carriers are seeing a reduction in activity but pricing is holding for now. The LTL are usually the last part of the market to feel a slowdown and the first to feel a recovery. Fedex has a foot in, pretty much, all of the segments of transportation, through ownerships and partnerships.

A move above the upper bollinger band is considered a buy. A move below the lower band, a sell.

Holding above the March and May lows is a good thing.

• Options
    Interesting analysis re LTL. Makes sense. Nice looking base building on the PnF.

Another area that has been a happy hunting ground in the past is Marine Transportation - very volatile though. A standout there at the moment is Scorpio Tankers - STNG.
  • Options
    lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    On their own websites, a couple regular/semi-regular StockCharts blog/ video posters have come out in the last day or two saying that a meaningful bottom appears to be in place for them.

"Because of the sudden change in rotation, I am "re-drafting" stocks and ETFs for our Portfolios. All changes will take place at the opening bell on Tuesday morning. I will be sending out the new portfolios later tonight as I work on the changes all day long today. If you're not currently an EB.com member, you can gain access to these 50 new stocks and 10 new ETFs by signing up for a FREE 30-day trial to our paid service. CLICK HERE to start your trial now! "

The other had similar sentiments but added that he believes the markets will "bounce around here for a bit"

RE: STNG I don't think that has sustainable momentum at this point. Only a couple 12 month periods has it done well. 2022 it has done well so far but, like you said, it's very volatile.

• Options
    Hmm you would think Brazil would be doing Great right now, they, along with China and India are the Three Countries that are currently buying up all of the Cheap Russian oil and petrol products they can afford.
  • Options
    I am kinda Surprised...
  • Options

Well, FLBR, UBR, FBZ, EWZ All Soaring to New Highs. It Seems they (Brazil) ARE Taking Advantage of the Misfortune and at all the Loss of Life. I wonder, why that iShares isn’t keeping up?

• Options
    lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    edited June 2023
    ETF's are very murky waters. Composition and management play a large role. Pretty much all have an 'index' that they state they expect to follow, and they pay licensing fees for. The index has its own rules. The ETF has its own rules. In most cases they are not the same thing. Around a decade ago the ETF lobby got the nomenclature that they use in prospectus to a lower number. Used to be that the had to invest 'at least 90 percent' of the assets in the index components. They allowed a move down to a lot lower%. Some have "50%"

example from a recent Black Rock ETF prospectus:
    The Fund will invest at least 80% of its assets in the component securities of
    the Underlying Index, and the Fund will invest at least 90% of its assets in U.S.
    Treasury securities that BFA believes will help the Fund track the Underlying
    Index. The Fund will invest no more than 10% of its assets in futures, options and
    swaps contracts that BFA believes will help the Fund track the Underlying Index.
    Cash and cash equivalent investments associated with a derivative position will be treated as
    part of that position for the purposes of calculating the percentage of
    investments included in the Underlying.....

And, of course, there's "sponsor" perogative.
    https://www.barrons.com/articles/why-an-etf-may-change-the-index-it-tracksand-how-to-tell-if-thats-good-or-bad-51624611617
  • Options
    i generally have a favorable view of ishares and proshares it's Direxxion that has the Unusually high Fees.
  • Options
    yeah they each have their own Secret Sauce, no two are alike in how they create their proxies
  • Options
    lmkwinlmkwin ✭✭
    With ETF's you really do need to look under the hood. I tend to look at returns instead of fees. I invest in individual stocks and use ETFs sparingly, but a 'value' trap gets expressed with stocks also. "Oh, the PE on that one is too high. I will pick the lower PE stock as it is not as expensive".

• Options
    I hear people talk about PE's all the time. PE's have been proven time-and-time again to have nothing to do with Performance. It's that old saying, "you get what you pay for." You want low-quality, Cheap stocks, you can always find stocks with lower PE's.