New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Alerts

I have two new scans set up in Alerts. When I have the alerts running, both of these scans alert at the open every day. Would you happen to know why that happens? As soon as I get the alerts, I run the scans manually and only one of them is active just as I would expect.

1. [Favorites list is 2] and [[SMA(20) > 1 Day ago SMA(20)] or [SMA(14) > 1 Day ago SMA(14)]] and [[RSI(13) > 1 Day ago RSI(13)] or [Open < Close]]

and [[[MACD Hist(2,4,0) > 1 Day ago MACD Hist(2,4,0)] and [[1 Day ago MACD Hist(2,4,0) < 2 Day ago MACD Hist(2,4,0)]]] or [[MACD Hist(3,6,0) > 1 Day ago MACD Hist(3,6,0)] and [[1 Day ago MACD Hist(3,6,0) < 2 Day ago MACD Hist(3,6,0)]]] or [[MACD Hist(6,9,0) > 1 Day ago MACD Hist(6,9,0)] and [[1 Day ago MACD Hist(6,9,0) < 2 Day ago MACD Hist(6,9,0)]]]]

2. [Favorites list is 2] and [[SMA(20) < 1 Day ago SMA(20)] or [SMA(14) < 1 Day ago SMA(14)]] and [[RSI(13) < 1 Day ago RSI(13)] or [Open > Close]]

and [[[MACD Hist(2,4,0) < 1 Day ago MACD Hist(2,4,0)] and [[1 Day ago MACD Hist(2,4,0) > 2 Day ago MACD Hist(2,4,0)]]] or [[MACD Hist(3,6,0) < 1 Day ago MACD Hist(3,6,0)] and [[1 Day ago MACD Hist(3,6,0) > 2 Day ago MACD Hist(3,6,0)]]] or [[MACD Hist(6,9,0) < 1 Day ago MACD Hist(6,9,0)] and [[1 Day ago MACD Hist(6,9,0) > 2 Day ago MACD Hist(6,9,0)]]]]

Comments

• You have 2 alerts set up. Both looking at the same chartlist. One using a greater than the other using a less than for certain criteria.

Your settings on each alert is similar to below?

When you run scans, using the exact same code of the Alert, you get something for one but not the other? But you are getting notification on both Alerts?

Do I have this right?

On a different note: A nifty thing added to the Technical Indicators drop down is the Streak Up and the Streak Down function. So, if you are looking for something that has been UP X number of days in a row, you can try the Streak options. Streak Up defaults to

and [Streak Up(close) > 1]

You can change close to be an indicator of choice. If looking for 3 day streak up, change the > 1 to >= 3

Another filter added is the Count Up and the Count Down. This operates similar to the Streaks but instead allows you to ask for the Count of UPs to be greater than10 out of the last 20 or whatever you desire to see. Count Down works the same, but in the opposite direction.

Default language can be modified to meet your requirements.

and [Count Up(20, close) > 10]
  • Thank you. Yes, the scans / alerts are supposed to be opposite each other so I don't know why they'd both trigger every morning at the same time every morning. As soon as they'd trigger, I'd run them manually and only one would have any results. I turned them on again yesterday to start trying to figure it out and only one triggered yesterday. I must have made a change that I don't remember or something else happened. I'm going to watch and record them on a note pad for a while and see.

• If they are both triggering, and giving you the same results, then the alert/scan is probably the culprit. Maybe BOTH were saved with the > for both instead of the > for one and < for the other.

I am assuming you have them set up to text the alerts, hence the notepad.

If you set them up to Email, then you will have a record of the results that you can copy/paste pretty easily from the email into excel
  • Thank you. I don't know what is wrong, but it just won't send me the alerts via email. Also, I believe that I have made appropriate changes to the scans / alerts. For now, they don't seem to alert simultaneously any longer. We'll see. If you have any ideas why the alerts won't alert me via email, I'd like to correct that issue too?
  • The only thing I can think of with the email is that your account email isn't your current email address or you have marked stockcharts alerts emails as spam. If the email is correct on your account but you aren't getting them, I'd contact support.

Below is based on a true story.
    On gmail the Trash and the Mark as Spam button are right next to each other. Same as on my comcast.net email account. So it's very easy to inadvertently mark something as spam. I apparently did this about a month or so ago with a StockCharts email. The emails stopped coming.

Well, when you mark something as spam, the sender gets notified somehow. And being labeled as a spam sender is NOT something that StockCharts.com will tolerate. So they cut off sending to alerts and notifications to my address. They take it very seriously. I asked to be reinstated, explaining what I surmise happened and they did.

I wish that gmail and comcast would move the mark as spam at least an icon or two away from the trash icon. Too easy to click the wrong one. And the wrong one can have serious implications, depending on the sender.
  • Thanks. I have contacted SC but they just won't respond to me about anything any longer. I have tried to find, in my email account, where I may have somehow turned them off or blocked them or some such thing but I can't find it and I'm sure it's just that I don't know enough about it.
  • I couldn't find anything in my spam filters or settings either. But it's easy to mark something as spam in Gmail and Comcast. It doesn't show anywhere that I could find, but fortunately I was able to get it corrected. If that is your issue. I hope you are able to get it corrected as well.