New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.
Options

Assigning a value to a variable

Dear all, is it possible to assign a value to a variable and to use the variable in scans, such as a=4? I guess this is not supported by the scan functionn but perhaps you know a work around. Thanks and my best wishes, Robert

Comments

• Options
    You're right, the scan language does not support variables.

A "workaround" would depend on what it is you are trying to do. The scan language does allow you to do anything that is logically possible. If you have a range of values in mind you can use greater than and less than statements together to bracket the values in the range. If you have a set of specific values to test for, you could use a series of "or" statements. Or, if you want a combination of values all to be true, you can use a series of "and" statements. And so on. There is almost always a way to re-state the problem in a way that doesn't require variables.

If you have specific instance in mind where your are using a variable but need a scan version, post it and we'll see if we have suggestions.
  • Options
    Thank you, Markd. I just thought of reducing typing work in the scan programs when changing a parameter but I think that this is not supported.
  • Options
    You could do that by pasting the scan into a text editor that has a replace function, then pasting the result back into the scan.