New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.

Moving average crossovers using H+L/2 instead of close

Can you scan for moving average crossovers when the MA is based on High+Low/2 instead of the close?

Comments

• The SMA( ) function requires a key word or another indicator for the value to be averaged. The documentation doesn't mention it, so I don't think it can handle a non-standard calculated value like (h+l)/2 - although you could try it sma(20, ((high+low)/2)) or something like that. Also, it's possible there is an undocumented keyword (e.g. "close" is a keyword) like "midpoint" or "mid".
  • Another thought is to use the Middle Channel of the Price Channel. Not exactly a moving average but it tracks the midpoint between the high and low of the selected period H+L/2

On the attached screen snip, the Lower - Middle - Upper price channel values are displayed in the screen. I highlighted the Middle value. I offset the price channels in the example (using a comma minus 1 in the parameter field) to better show the relationship of the High/Low/Middle that the channels are reflecting.

You may also find the Stochastics or the Williams %R of use as they reflect the High and the low of the period and the mid point is 50 or -50 in the case of the %R.