New Members: Be sure to confirm your email address by clicking on the link that was sent to your email inbox. You will not be able to post messages until you click that link.
Options

Indicator for distance above a moving average?

Right now (12/04/2017) there are several major indices that are very far above their 200-day moving averages. Historically, when this happens a correction takes place. I cannot find anything, but are there any tools I can use to identify on a chart the times through history that the $SPX was a great distance above its 200-day MA?

I am thinking of something similar to ROC, that I can map on a chart to show the number of times that an index moved more than 10% in 10 day days, for example. Perhaps a combination of existing indicators?

Thank you in advance for giving this some thought.

Christopher Michaels

Comments

• Options
    If you are OK with a 200 ema instead of sma, you can use PPO, which is the per cent version of MACD. MACD is the difference between two emas. Usually, it is plotted with a signal line, but for your purposes, it's not necessary. So this is what you would put on a daily chart:

PPO(1, 200, 1)

the first 1 is a one day ema of closes - that's not exactly the close of each day, but close.

200 is a two hundred day ema of closes; not identical with the 200 sma, but, since this is about identifying a wide area of overboughtness, and not a price signal, it may be OK.

The second 1 is the ema of the difference between the 1 ema and the 200 ema. Normally, this number would be 9.

The scale on the right is in per cents, so you can just add a horizontal line to the indicator at 10 to see th periods where the 1 ema exceeded the 200 ema by more than 10 %.

https://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$SPX&p=D&yr=10&mn=0&dy=0&id=p94356788502